Home

2016-17 NBA MVP

This is a discussion on 2016-17 NBA MVP within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Who will win MVP?
James Harden 13 29.55%
Russell Westbrook 22 50.00%
Kawhi Leonard 6 13.64%
Lebron James 3 6.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2017, 07:38 PM   #33
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: 2016-17 NBA MVP

A few things I'd like to breakdown:

-At first, I thought the whole Rebounding thing about him was some meme or joke that a blogger was making. But now I'm not sure whether to laugh or be stunned that it's in fact legit.

We're knocking him or basically saying his Rebounding average isn't that impressive because he's not down there boxing out 6'9/6'10 Big so therefore they're not "legit" and that his BIGS aren't the ones grabbing the rebounds, but we're going to knock HIM for that?

BUT, since we're on the discussion, I'll add to it:

Spoiler

TL: DR - They're not doing anything different than what they did last year as far as rebounding and allowing their "non-Bigs" to grab,

-I knew that article was up to some funny stuff when I read this immediately:

Quote:
Some sleuth on Reddit put together an impressive collection of links attempting to prove that Westbrook’s rebounding numbers are so high … because he’s not playing defense.
The last 2-3 years, we just had 2 candidates who weren't known for even attempting to play Defense(Steph and Harden, ironically and lord knows we can find plenty of articles about how Steph pulling up half court 3s on the regular is hurting his team's defense but I digress)and now all of a sudden it matters now in an MVP race?

Some more tidbits:

Spoiler

FWIW, I think Harden will win MVP and I won't have any issue with it and think he deserves it just as much as Westbrook does. But the arguments I see people using against Westbrook in a way to make what he's doing seem like it's actually "not that impressive", I'm actually surprised the ones using the Rebounding argument didn't do any research to see why that's the case.

Now if folks want to make the case that he's a chucker, I'd be on your side....because I know that who he is and always has been. But I do know that if this was Lebron doing this.....there would be crickets compared to Russ and OJ would be here talking about how they should name the MVP Trophy after him, lol.

Last edited by ProfessaPackMan; 03-30-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:54 PM   #34
Hall Of Fame

cima's Arena

OVR: 5
2016-17 NBA MVP

Kawhi is the only dude of the 4 that kills it on both offense and defense. His team has the best record of those 4, so therefore he should win it imo. The MVP for awhile, more often than not, has been about the best player on a top 3 team, not about who's most valuable/irreplaceable. That's why someone usually comes in with the "should be renamed the best player on the best team award" argument or whatever it usually is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-30-2017, 07:55 PM   #35
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0

I was about to ask why a Rockets fan would be so against the way Westbrook rebounds when it's fairly comparable to how Harden gets his.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2017, 09:01 PM   #36
Supreme

Streets's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
I was about to ask why a Rockets fan would be so against the way Westbrook rebounds when it's fairly comparable to how Harden gets his.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The issue isn't with how Westbrook gets his rebounds as much as it is he is chasing rebounds so he can chase triple doubles. Being a poor defender is one thing (Curry, Harden, etc.) but purposely ignoring defense and not contesting shots so you can chase personal stats/ triple doubles doesn't sit well with me.

If you want to critique how both Harden and Westbrook get rebounds, I'm fine with that, but rebounds are only really important for one of their MVP campaigns (because of the round number).

Despite similar rebounding rates/numbers, Russ plays with a bunch of big capable rebounders whereas Harden plays with Capela and a bunch of shooters not known for rebounding. Harden is often part of a 4-guard set so he will get more rebounds by virtue of being one of the bigger guys on the court. If you actually watch the games it's very different. The uncontested rebounds being similar is half the story, but the half being ignored is Russ choosing not to play defense or contest shots so he can camp down low and fill up the stat sheet. He is in a league all by himself when it comes to that. Stats show no one is near his level when it comes to not contesting shots.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:29 PM   #37
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets

Stats and the eye test back up the stat-padding narrative but I don't think the voters care that much honestly. If Harden did this AND his teammates purposely worked to get Harden more boards, I'm pretty sure he could make up the two rebound discrepancy. However, even without that he's making history with his own stats and his team is doing better as well.

A lot of people simply don't like Harden and that may be enough. We'll see.
Stat-padding...

Where's the videos of Harden not giving a damn on defense just to get the ball back on offense? Or the videos of head-jerk Eurosteps just to get a whistle and get to the line? Much less having a coach who doesn't care how much the opponent scores.

This goes for Harden and many elite scorers outside of the MVP discussion.

That's why I give Kawhi props because much of what he does will never end up in a box score.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:15 PM   #38
Supreme

Streets's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
Stat-padding...

Where's the videos of Harden not giving a damn on defense just to get the ball back on offense? Or the videos of head-jerk Eurosteps just to get a whistle and get to the line? Much less having a coach who doesn't care how much the opponent scores.

This goes for Harden and many elite scorers outside of the MVP discussion.

That's why I give Kawhi props because much of what he does will never end up in a box score.

That Harden doesn't play defense video from a few years ago is definately out there if you want to google it.

This year the Rockets decided to double down on offense, shooting, and to play to Harden's strengths. It would be really dumb to build an 05 Pistons or Spurs team around Harden. I have zero problems with this approach and it's working and Houston is overachieving. You can say what you will about how viable the strategy will be come playoff time but the MVP is a regular season award anyway.

The line I've heard from analysts in the past is that he has to do so much on offense that he focuses less on defense (not that I necessarily agree but that is the line I hear for a lot stars that don't play D). Somehow I don't think Russ needing to focus on rebounding at the expense of defense is as viable an argument due to the Thunder having many capable bigs/rebounders. Harden was rightfully roasted for his turnstyle defense in the past. It's not like he's ever gotten a pass for that. Russ not playing defense (only 167 contests the entire season?? How is that even possible??) and camping out for rebounds instead should be acknowledged as well.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:33 PM   #39
MVP

BluFu's Arena

OVR: 4

Isn't this similar to Curry vs Harden in 2015? Just that for Harden, the roles are reversed where he's now playing on a stronger team than his rival. Ultimately, it goes to the player with a clear edge in games won.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:40 PM   #40
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36
2016-17 NBA MVP

Translation: "Yeah, my guy's Defense stinks but at least he's not getting cheap rebounds by posting up under the basket all game".

It's 2015 all over again. Westbrook's Rebounds is this year's Steph's "those contested 3s/half court pull up 3s are hurting their Defense, even if they are open" argument. I get it now.

Last edited by ProfessaPackMan; 03-30-2017 at 11:46 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »