Home

2017 Offseason Thread

This is a discussion on 2017 Offseason Thread within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-02-2017, 11:28 PM   #41
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65
Re: 2017 Offseason Thread

It's too late for the Clippers.... geez

It's like over.

Old man Carmelo aint gonna save them now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2017, 03:17 PM   #42
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Here you go, King

Quote:
Cap flexibility. That and bringing back Fred Hoiberg. And Rajon Rondo.

Those were the big themes theme when Bulls Vice President of Basketball Operations John Paxson and General Manager Gar Forman spoke to the media on Wednesday. The Bulls were 41-41, which is about what should have been expected from a roster that lacked shooting, but that felt like a disappointment in Chicago. This was a team that floundered around without an identity, and Paxson owned up to it, as Vincent Goodwill of CSNChicago.com reported.

Bulls VP John Paxson: "We saw what you saw and a lot of our fans saw. Inconsistency in our play and searching for an identity."

— Vincent Goodwill (@vgoodwill) May 3, 2017

Often a lack of identity is blamed on the coach, but Fred Hoiberg will be back.

Pax: “Fred’s our coach, he will be back."

Pax on Fred: "I view young coaches in this league like young players. Fred’s challenge this offseason is to find ways to be a better leader.

A lot of that identity issue should fall on Paxson and Forman, who gave Hoiberg a roster that didn’t fit the style he prefers to coach or match up with team star Jimmy Butler.

Also returning, Rajon Rondo (the Bulls have a team option).

Paxson: “Really good chance we bring Rajon back."

But running this roster back, does that make sense? When asked about getting another star player to pair with Butler — and no, Dwyane Wade is not the answer there (he has a player option and $23 million reasons to pick it up) — the Bulls front office talked about cap flexibility.

Pax: "With Jimmy, all of us would love to get another superstar player but with the salaries we have now, it’s a difficult thing to manage."

Gar talking about the importance of cap flexibility down the line as opposed to spending now

So does that mean the Bulls will trade Butler? You’d have to read between the lines on that. K.C. Johnson of the Chicago Tribune tried.

My takeaway: Bulls won't trade Butler just to say "let's rebuild" but absolutely would do full rebuild if right offer for Butler came.

— K.C. Johnson (@KCJHoop) May 3, 2017

This is why any speculation on Butler makes little sense at this point. Draft lottery will bring big detail into picture.

All-NBA teams will bring another detail into picture. If Butler makes one, have to factor in possible Designated Player Exception for him.

There are a lot of questions the Bulls need to answer. Offering Jimmy Butler the same kind of designated player contract extension that Russell Westbrook is going to get something the Bulls want to do, because it would hurt that cap flexibility? If the Celtics land a top two pick (they have the right to swap with Brooklyn this year, the team with the best odds in the lottery) and offered it for Butler, could that be the basis of a deal that got done? (Would the Celtics do that is another question.)

What the Bulls need is a plan. They have talked about cap flexibility and the kind of team they want to build before, then they go out and pay big for Wade and Rondo and short-circuit all of it. GarPax hasn’t stuck to a plan. We’ll see if they have one this summer, what it is, and if they stick to it. But with the Bulls, it always feels like just about anything could happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2017, 03:37 PM   #43
Banned

OVR: 12

Why did they make the trade with the Thunder any ways?

They could have used Gibson and McDermott in the playoffs.

They didn't want to pay those players after the season?

If they have their picks, they should tank rather than try to barely make the playoffs.

MJ needed Pippen, who was the fifth pick of his draft class and an immediate impact player. (BTW, I see that he was actually drafted by Seattle but traded for an Olden Polynice? What was the logic behind that trade?).
Old 05-03-2017, 03:43 PM   #44
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81
Why did they make the trade with the Thunder any ways?

They could have used Gibson and McDermott in the playoffs.

They didn't want to pay those players after the season?

If they have their picks, they should tank rather than try to barely make the playoffs.

MJ needed Pippen, who was the fifth pick of his draft class and an immediate impact player. (BTW, I see that he was actually drafted by Seattle but traded for an Olden Polynice? What was the logic behind that trade?).
Potential they saw in Pippen?
Didn't feel they needed Polynice with what they already had down low?

Not sure how that question can be answered. What was the logic behind the Kobe for Divac trade?
Old 05-03-2017, 03:46 PM   #45
Banned

OVR: 12

No why did Seattle trade the 5th pick of the draft for some guy?

Maybe Polynice had a lot of potential at the time but you'd also think any player good enough to be drafted #5 would be someone you'd want, not to trade away.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2017, 03:57 PM   #46
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81
No why did Seattle trade the 5th pick of the draft for some guy?

Maybe Polynice had a lot of potential at the time but you'd also think any player good enough to be drafted #5 would be someone you'd want, not to trade away.
It's probably related to needs. Polynice did have potential... I'd have to go back and look at the make up of the team at the time, can't remember now. But that's why I gave the Divac/Kobe example. Teams taking chances on potential vs need. They could've (likely) felt Polynice could contribute sooner than Pippen.

Why was Jordan drafted 3rd?

Why was Darko drafted before Melo?

Hard to figure out the logic after the fact.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:55 PM   #47
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0

Polynice was also a top 10 pick, he had potential as well. He just didn't pan out.

I'm not sure the Bulls ever wanted Polynice considering they had Oak and in that same draft later selected Grant as well. That's probably who Seattle wanted all along, the Bulls wanted to move up to get Pippen before the draft, so I'm sure they had some sort of agreement before hand.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:07 PM   #48
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
Polynice was also a top 10 pick, he had potential as well. He just didn't pan out.

I'm not sure the Bulls ever wanted Polynice considering they had Oak and in that same draft later selected Grant as well. That's probably who Seattle wanted all along, the Bulls wanted to move up to get Pippen before the draft, so I'm sure they had some sort of agreement before hand.
I'm pretty sure it was this. They might not ever own up to it, but I bet Seattle thought that they were putting one over on the Bulls.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »