Home

A rant about parity and superteams

This is a discussion on A rant about parity and superteams within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2017, 02:21 PM   #9
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: A rant about parity and superteams

All I know is my man referenced Jeopardy and quoted Bad Teacher... gotta be firsts in a basketball discussion lol.

Spot on though. Tiger Woods creating ratings for the PGA. In tennis, the more dominant players you have, the more fan interest.

I hate the Yankees and Patriots as much as anyone but ratings come when they're dominant.

The NBA's success has been built on dominant players and dominant teams. It's nothing new, and for everyone bored by this year, these playoffs or these finals... there are a million others helping make it possibly the most watched finals ever. After watching the Lakers/Celtics 30 for 30, I was just thinking about the Cavs/Warriors one that'll come out in a decade after they play 4 or 5 championships in a row. It's the league. Everyone in this forum enjoys it. We (myself included) just get mad that our favorite team won't be sniffing that trophy for some time now.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:48 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
All I know is my man referenced Jeopardy and quoted Bad Teacher... gotta be firsts in a basketball discussion lol.

Spot on though. Tiger Woods creating ratings for the PGA. In tennis, the more dominant players you have, the more fan interest.

I hate the Yankees and Patriots as much as anyone but ratings come when they're dominant.

The NBA's success has been built on dominant players and dominant teams. It's nothing new, and for everyone bored by this year, these playoffs or these finals... there are a million others helping make it possibly the most watched finals ever. After watching the Lakers/Celtics 30 for 30, I was just thinking about the Cavs/Warriors one that'll come out in a decade after they play 4 or 5 championships in a row. It's the league. Everyone in this forum enjoys it. We (myself included) just get mad that our favorite team won't be sniffing that trophy for some time now.

It's a shame the like feature is gone lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2017, 04:59 PM   #11
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by z Revis
This is a weird stance to me. It seems like you're trying to say if DeRozan and the Raps played with more heart and fire they would've beaten the Cavs? Nothing to do with how much more talented the Cavs are?

Should the Cavs have played with more heart or competed harder in the Finals?

The irony of all this is you telling players to man up and compete yet in the same breathe you're basically defending Durant for joining the team he lost to in the WCF. Shouldn't Durant have just taken the man up and compete approach and stayed in OKC?

I'm not saying anything one way or the other btw, I've said many times I don't blame or hate Durant for doing what he did. But I think it sucks for the rest of the league that has to try and catch up to them now. And I don't think just manning up and playing with more fire is the answer lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Other teams don't have a choice but to man up. Durant was a free agent and free agents have freedom to choose their team. Do you want to take that away?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2017, 02:57 AM   #12
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bruce Wayne
Other teams don't have a choice but to man up. Durant was a free agent and free agents have freedom to choose their team. Do you want to take that away?

Ok so it's only necessary to man up if you're under contract? If you're a free agent though you have no problem with them not manning up and taking the easy road to team up with established contenders? That just seems hypocritical lol.

Either way, just "manning up" isn't going to beat this Warriors team. If anyone beats them it's likely to be a team that formed via trade or a star player that decided to not "man up" and instead took the easy road.

Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Old 06-17-2017, 05:28 AM   #13
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by z Revis
Ok so it's only necessary to man up if you're under contract? If you're a free agent though you have no problem with them not manning up and taking the easy road to team up with established contenders? That just seems hypocritical lol.

Either way, just "manning up" isn't going to beat this Warriors team. If anyone beats them it's likely to be a team that formed via trade or a star player that decided to not "man up" and instead took the easy road.

It's necessary to man up and complain about where other players choose to go. The Raptors were in the playoffs with what they had and they didn't even complete. Instead one of their star players had a defeatest attitude. If teams are going about Golden State and Cleveland , while not even trying to complete, then they deserve to lose.

There is no easy way out. You still have to actually play the games. There's only one basketball and only one player can shoot at a time. Every team can be beat. Golden State didn't go undefeated. The Cavaliers didn't go undefeated. If teams aren't willing to compete as men, then that's on them.

Now would you stop free agents from joining what teams they wanted? Because always it's the "easy way out" and is "ruining the NBA" so would you restrict Free Agency?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Black Bruce Wayne; 06-17-2017 at 05:42 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:17 AM   #14
MVP

OVR: 3

I'm not as hardcore an NBA fan as I was in the 80's & 90's so I don't know the players in every team as well as I used to. Even though the Lakers, Celtics, & Bulls were in the finals a lot, it never felt as certain as it does now. There were always teams that pushed them. None of those teams were as dominant as the Warriors & Cavs. Who will be in the finals next year? The same two teams unless the Spurs get it in. That doesn't bore me because my team has no chance. It bores me because the regular season is meaningless. Only three teams have a shot at the finals. I agree with the earlier post that the recent finals that I enjoyed the most were when the Mavs & the Pistons won. If my favorite team isn't in it I go with the underdog. There was no real underdog in this year's championship.

My bigger issue is how offense minded the league is now. It was a decent finals to me but when teams are consistently getting over 60 points a game by halftime, it just turns me off. The players shoot better & teams have more firewpower than teams in the 80's & 90's so I'm not a person who thinks old school was better. I just miss a variety of styles. Low post focused teams would have little chance today so everyone is pushing & looking for the three.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2017, 01:57 PM   #15
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65

Remember when everybody wanted Paul Pierce to join the superteam

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-17-2017, 11:42 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bruce Wayne
It's necessary to man up and complain about where other players choose to go. The Raptors were in the playoffs with what they had and they didn't even complete. Instead one of their star players had a defeatest attitude. If teams are going about Golden State and Cleveland , while not even trying to complete, then they deserve to lose.

There is no easy way out. You still have to actually play the games. There's only one basketball and only one player can shoot at a time. Every team can be beat. Golden State didn't go undefeated. The Cavaliers didn't go undefeated. If teams aren't willing to compete as men, then that's on them.

Now would you stop free agents from joining what teams they wanted? Because always it's the "easy way out" and is "ruining the NBA" so would you restrict Free Agency?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Man, I see what you're saying and can even agree(players shouldn't complain or have a defeatist attitude, you're right), but again it seems like you're trying to say that just playing with more heart and fire is all that's needed to beat these teams. I don't know why else you'd be bringing this up lol.

You can play as hard as you want, but the more talented players/teams are still going to win. There's a reason upsets aren't really a thing in basketball. Sure you can go back 6 years and point to Mavs over the Heat or go back 10 years and point out Warriors over the Mavs, but those are exceptions. Are you saying it's because players don't compete and have a defeatist attitude? In some cases maybe, but for the most part I don't think so.

Notre Dame Fighting Irish

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »