Home

Don Cherry Rips Alex Ovechkin

This is a discussion on Don Cherry Rips Alex Ovechkin within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-24-2009, 11:53 AM   #81
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Don Cherry Rips Alex Ovechkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler289
Yea, Cherry backed down, but you could tell he was holding back some stuff. He was ridiculous in the first place by questioning Alex's usual celebrations.
Yeah. I think it's pretty obvious that he wanted to burn him at the stake. But I have a feeling fans bombarded the CBC with calls, letters and emails flaming Grapes, so that's why he took it easy.

I have to admit, I'm a big Cherry fan - but I can still see through the hypocricy. Like when he starts the segment by saying "Alex. Is that his name?" and then later on talks about how he's a class guy and the best player in the NHL.

He throws in stuff like "Is that his name?" or mispronounces Martin St.Louis' last name.
It's a thinly veiled attempt to act like he's a Regular Joe from the construction site.

You can't plead ignorance in one instance, and then 30 seconds later prove that you actually are aware of the subject you're talking about.

Don will forever be great entertainment in the hockey world and it'll be sad when he goes. But at this point, and especially in this era, a lot of his rants and opinions are no longer outrageous but rather sorely outdated and without merit.

If A.O.'s name was John Cooper, he'd be his favorite player in the way that he hits, competes and the talent he possesses. There's not a player on this planet that is more offensively dynamic than Ovechkin and it kills Cherry that he wasn't born in Mississauga.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2009, 12:50 PM   #82
MVP

funky_chicken's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedheadKingpin
It's not like any of those guys you mentioned didn't bring it on the field. So your whole comparision to them is stupid. Sanders is a future Hall of Famer,T.O and Chad Johnson have Hall of Fame numbers,so it ain't like they're chumps out there. So why is it okay for Ovechkin to show his emotion,yet you got a problem when the three guys you mentioned do the exact same thing.
I have no problem with what T.O. and them do on the field. It is all the trash talking that serves no purpose. They are just trying to get attention. Emotion on the field is fine. Talking like an *** off the field is another.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #83
MVP

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99

If A.O.'s name was John Cooper, he'd be his favorite player in the way that he hits, competes and the talent he possesses. There's not a player on this planet that is more offensively dynamic than Ovechkin and it kills Cherry that he wasn't born in Mississauga.
Exactly. If Ovechkin was from Canada, Cherry would be worshipping him as the greatest thing since Wayne.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:03 PM   #84
MVP

derrickthomas58's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
If Crosby did any of this i'd bet that at least 90% of the people praising AO would be all over the Crosby Hate Train calling him "arrogant, selfish, and disrespectful" and calling for him to be beaten or run.

The league is phasing guys like Donald Brashear out of the game, it won't be long until AO is forced to fight his own battles. And when his time comes to finally answer the bell he's gonna get maimed.

Personally, i don't care about the celebrations per se, what gets me is the double stanbdard Crosby is held to. It's a total media line that it's all just "youthful exhuberance and the joy of hockey" what AO does. It's the same exact thing as how the media constantly makes excuses for Brett Favre's selfish behaviour with the whole "he's just a simply country boy at heart who just loves to compete" fallacy.
I think there is definitely a double standard, but AO gets the worse of it. If it was Cindy Crosby who was doing all these celebrations, nobody would be talking about it. But because it's Ovechkin and not the good ole canadian girl, it's suddenly wrong.

Heaven forbid somebody actually show a big of passion for the game.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:06 PM   #85
MVP

derrickthomas58's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude
Difference is, Crosby won't be nearly as good as Gretzky was and it's a shame that he gets those comparisons.
Yeah, people need to stop that comparison NOW. Crosby isn't, and never will be, close to Gretzky.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2009, 06:01 PM   #86
Banned

OVR: 17

Niether wll Ovechkin.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:08 PM   #87
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickthomas58
I think there is definitely a double standard, but AO gets the worse of it. If it was Cindy Crosby who was doing all these celebrations, nobody would be talking about it. But because it's Ovechkin and not the good ole canadian girl, it's suddenly wrong.

Heaven forbid somebody actually show a big of passion for the game.
Please. Every goal in the NHL is celebrated by the players. They laugh, they hug their teammates, they jump up and down, and they pump their fists (Crosby included). Let's not try and make out like the NHL is riddled with zombies and robots who look like they're at a funeral when they score and that Ovechkin is the only ray of light in an otherwise dim and dark league. That premise is absolutely laughable at best. For every youtube vid you can post of a goal not being celebrated by the players, I could post at least 100 that are. Like I said, if you're okay with Ovechkin's celebrations then that's fine. But call a spade a spade and you don't need to throw other players like Crosby (who has better career numbers than Ovechkin does) under the bus to make your point. And as for the whole "cindy" thing..........at least Crosby answers the bell when he has to. At least Crosby doesn't need hired thugs to fight his battles for him and create space on the ice for him.

Last edited by metallicatz; 03-24-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:10 PM   #88
MVP

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
Please. Every goal in the NHL is celebrated by the players. They laugh, they hug their teammates, they jump up and down, and they pump their fists (Crosby included). Let's not try and make out like the NHL is riddled with zombies and robots who look like they're at a funeral when they score and that Ovechkin is the only ray of light in an otherwise dim and dark league. That premise is absolutely laughable at best. For every youtube vid you can post of a goal not being celebrated by the players, I could post at least 100 that are. Like I said, if you're okay with Ovechkin's celebrations then that's fine. But call a spade a spade and you don't need to throw other players like Crosby (who has better career numbers than Ovechkin does) under the bus to make your point. And as for the whole "cindy" thing..........at least Crosby answers the bell when he has to.

Yes, Crosby sure was tough when he jumped that Panthers player and punced that dude in the balls. What a tough guy. Ovechkin stands up for himself all the time and at least knows how to throw a body check. I don't think we'll be seeing any Crosby checking montages on youtube anytime soon.

Last edited by tyler289; 03-24-2009 at 06:13 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »