Home

Don Cherry Rips Alex Ovechkin

This is a discussion on Don Cherry Rips Alex Ovechkin within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-20-2009, 04:42 PM   #33
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Don Cherry Rips Alex Ovechkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyblast
Awesome rebuttal.
you provided no reason as to why it was stupid and rediculous...you didn't deserve an "awesome rebuttal"...

http://twitter.com/52isthemike
Old 03-20-2009, 04:50 PM   #34
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

Hockey fans are so convervative...A lot of them still live in the 1950's. Burnaby Joe doesn't exaggerate his celebrations and actually never celebrates much at all after a goal, that is fine and all, but I really think the NHL needs a guy like Ovie to expand the game and get young fans into it. He doesn't celebrate because he's showing up the opponent. I know in soccer a lot of people say that celebration isn't a way to show up the opponent. It is actually the contrary. They celebrate kind of as a sign of respect towards their opponent because scoring can be something very hard to accomplish.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:52 PM   #35
Bow for Bau

Vince's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
If Crosby did any of this i'd bet that at least 90% of the people praising AO would be all over the Crosby Hate Train calling him "arrogant, selfish, and disrespectful" and calling for him to be beaten or run.

The league is phasing guys like Donald Brashear out of the game, it won't be long until AO is forced to fight his own battles. And when his time comes to finally answer the bell he's gonna get maimed.

Personally, i don't care about the celebrations per se, what gets me is the double stanbdard Crosby is held to. It's a total media line that it's all just "youthful exhuberance and the joy of hockey" what AO does. It's the same exact thing as how the media constantly makes excuses for Brett Favre's selfish behaviour with the whole "he's just a simply country boy at heart who just loves to compete" fallacy.
I don't think he'd get flack for over celebrating...

Crosby has very little charisma anyways so I wouldn't worry about him showing any exuberance...

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2009, 05:10 PM   #36
Banned

OVR: 17

Crosby shows plenty of exhuberance on the ice, just not in interviews. He celebrates his goals and his teammates' goals like anybody else. He just doesn't make a huge spectacle of himself in doing it. And he's not skating by the opposing team's bench with taunts after scoring like AO's been known to do. Hey, if Ovechkin wants to act like Ocho Cinco then it's fine with me. I don't really care. But call a spade a spade.

And i believe wholeheartedly that just about everybody praising AO would be singing a completely different tune if Crosby were doing it. You'll never convince me otherwise. I see all the hateful comments on all the websites nitpicking him over every little thing he does.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:14 PM   #37
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
If Crosby did any of this i'd bet that at least 90% of the people praising AO would be all over the Crosby Hate Train calling him "arrogant, selfish, and disrespectful" and calling for him to be beaten or run.

The league is phasing guys like Donald Brashear out of the game, it won't be long until AO is forced to fight his own battles. And when his time comes to finally answer the bell he's gonna get maimed.

Personally, i don't care about the celebrations per se, what gets me is the double stanbdard Crosby is held to. It's a total media line that it's all just "youthful exhuberance and the joy of hockey" what AO does. It's the same exact thing as how the media constantly makes excuses for Brett Favre's selfish behaviour with the whole "he's just a simply country boy at heart who just loves to compete" fallacy.
You're right, I would call Crosby arrogant, selfish and disrespectful... because he already is. I already call for the guy to be beaten and checked as hard as possible.

Ovechkin checks harder than any forward in the NHL, do you really think he's going to have a problem in a fight? Oh this of course meaning not jumping in while two guys are tied up and hitting the opposing team's player in the nuts like so:

Old 03-20-2009, 05:37 PM   #38
Banned

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewing
You're right, I would call Crosby arrogant, selfish and disrespectful... because he already is. I already call for the guy to be beaten and checked as hard as possible.

Ovechkin checks harder than any forward in the NHL, do you really think he's going to have a problem in a fight? Oh this of course meaning not jumping in while two guys are tied up and hitting the opposing team's player in the nuts like so:

Has he ever fraught? Checking and fighting are two different things.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:38 PM   #39
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
Has he ever fraught? Checking and fighting are two different things.
No, I don't believe he's had a fight, but wouldn't you think someone who hits that hard can hold his own in a brawl?
Old 03-20-2009, 06:03 PM   #40
Banned

OVR: 17

For every Crosby cheap shot you can post I can match it with a cheap run by AO. Try this one on for size (notice how quickly Ovechkin "the tough guy" runs for the box as quick as he can) .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxMJrQhGoSg

And fighting is a completely different art than checking. Ovechkin just taunts and cheap shots opposing players and then lets Brashear fight his battles for him. At least Crosby drops the gloves to fight his own battles, and even did so with Georges Laraque on the team. Catch the recent episode against Boston by chance? Sid challenges Savard to fight. Savard says he won't go because of Crosby's "sissy" visor. Crosby then skates back to his bench and has the visor removed for his next shift, where he then challanges Savard again.......who backs down like a little chump.

Oh, and by the way Ewing........the clip you posted used not only audio from the Bertuzzi incident game (that part about "how's this any different from what Mcsorley did!?") , but also the opening commentary was regarding the Bertuzzi incident as well. It was a fancy cut & paste job by the author, but that's all it amounts to.

Last edited by metallicatz; 03-20-2009 at 06:11 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »