Home

NHL Off-Topic thread

This is a discussion on NHL Off-Topic thread within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-03-2015, 07:11 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NHL Off-Topic thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
They adjust for MLB extra inning games, why not for NHL?
As well as NBA, NFL, NCAA, etc. overtime games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2015, 07:54 PM   #26
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

I think the NHL wants the gimmick. Whether it's a shootout or a loser point or a 3 on 3 to create excitement on the ice.

It's all about the gimmick rather than what works. Which is fine. They're in it to make the most cash. I presume though, that nothing works quite like awesome play that's organic and natural. No substitute for that.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:33 AM   #27
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
They adjust for MLB extra inning games, why not for NHL?
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
Two things:

1. All of those other sports have much, much larger TV deals than the NHL.

2. % of games per league that require OT/extra innings (average per regular season):

NBA: 5-7%
NFL: 6-8%
MLB: 12-14%
NHL: 23-25%
Quote:
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Old 10-04-2015, 12:47 AM   #28

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Not just that,but NFL games almost always go past the 3 hour scheduled limit. Anyone who watches primetime shows on CBS or FOX on Sundays knows all about it. Shows delayed on weekly basis basically cause one or both games they air, go past the scheduled 3 hour limit.

But just seems like NHL is afraid to do things that'd make the game longer,even though most games don't go past the scheduled 3 hour timeframe.

Don't know exact numbers, but I'd think average game takes around 2.5hrs to play. So you got like 20 minutes right there to play OT and keep gametime under 3hrs with OT games. Just don't have OT intermission. Have clean scrape,no zamboni,and play OT right afterwards till someone scores. Or at very least,10 mins of 4 on 4 OT and then a tie if nothing happens.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:19 AM   #29
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
I think the NHL wants the gimmick. Whether it's a shootout or a loser point or a 3 on 3 to create excitement on the ice.

It's all about the gimmick rather than what works. Which is fine. They're in it to make the most cash. I presume though, that nothing works quite like awesome play that's organic and natural. No substitute for that.
There is an organic way to settle regular season games without continuous OT or the return of ties, a simple method that would encourage teams to score in regulation and OT by punishing those that don't.

Yes, I'm beating this drum once again.

Regulation win = 2 points
OT (5 min of 4-on-4) win = 2 points
Shootout win = 1 point
Loss (of any variety) = 0 points

No loser points. No ties. No continuous OT or 3-on-3 necessary. A bare minimum of shootouts, as the winner will only get a single point while the loser still gets nothing. Teams that play cautiously will fall behind in the standings to those who go for broke, thus a lot more goals will be scored in "natural" fashion.

Now, will this ever happen? Probably not. I think the players would sign off on this, but the GMs and coaches love Love LOVE the loser point because it artificially pumps up team point totals.

Hockey fans and media have been trained to think that a 100-point team is a contender and a .500 team is average. They used to be, but they're not. Some Avalanche shill will probably claim, "Hey the Avs weren't so bad last year! They still got 90 points in a tough division! They were 8 games over .500!" Under my points system, shootout wins are worth only 1 point and OT/SO losses are worth bupkis, so Colorado goes from a record of 39-31-12 (90 points) to 29-41-10 (68 points). Even though the Avs scored and allowed the same number of goals, my points system makes them look worse because they're no longer getting freebie points. Now Sakic and Roy are on the hotseat.

This is why the loser point will forever endure: it provides job security for mediocre team executives, and those same executives are the ones who get to make the rules.
Quote:
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Old 10-06-2015, 07:10 AM   #30
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
I've heard Bettman said that they are loathe to exceed the 2.5 hour mark for games.
What drives me nuts is that very rarely do games even begin on time.
When's the last time the puck actually dropped at 7:30?
In most cases, it's closer to 7:41 or 7:45.
Also, and maybe I'm showing my age/ignorance, but when did intermissions become 20 min long?

During an ex-game, I saw a player being interviewed after a period and there was a digital clock counting down overtop the dressing room entrance. It was at 16min and counting.

I know they in crease the intermission breaks to 20 min, or more, during the playoffs, but why in the regular season.

Take those extra 25 min and allow for an extended OT session.

I'd love to a concise winner each game, but if they don't, Dr.Jones point scheme is what they should adopt.
I highly doubt teams who don't have TJ Oshie on their roster would want to take their chances in the SO 25% of the time.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:14 AM   #31
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

I still think the margin for win versus shootout loss needs to be 3 and 1. I know, I know, the continuity of statistics with the game's history. Just get some egghead to devise and adjusted historical points formula.

I believe that margin would put an end to a lot of conservative coaching. On the other hand it would probably put way more teams out of it way earlier in the year.

Last edited by bad_philanthropy; 10-06-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2015, 11:46 AM   #32
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
I still think the margin for win versus shootout loss needs to be 3 and 1. I know, I know, the continuity of statistics with the game's history. Just get some egghead to devise and adjusted historical points formula.

I believe that margin would put an end to a lot of conservative coaching. On the other hand it would probably put way more teams out of it way earlier in the year.
Absolutely.
And it coincides with DrJones's latest post about how the current system allows execs to put a positive spin on a terrible season. "We were above .500!".

According to the current standard, only 6 teams were under .500 last season. Wow!
But there were 11 teams with less than 41 wins (and 2 with 41 exactly).
So one could make a case that only 17 teams were above .500 last season.
But that doesn't help sell tickets and it doesn't help the suits keep their jobs.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »