Home

Best NASCAR console games

This is a discussion on Best NASCAR console games within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2016, 02:50 PM   #9
MVP

Turbojugend's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Best NASCAR console games

Bumping this very old thread as I've recently picked up some older NASCAR games. Starting with some PS1 throwbacks, I found NASCAR 99, NASCAR 2001 and NASCAR Rumble at the local swap meet. No one is going to confuse any of these games with the tech-heavy titles of this generation, but they are all a ton of fun to play. Especially Rumble, an arcade racer with some interesting fictional tracks and legends to unlock.

The other game I bought was NASCAR 09, now I think I can see why some people were dissatisfied with the ETX titles. The visuals compare favorably with 15: VE, the A.I. seems smarter, the day/night transitions are amazing, and the Sprint Driver Challenges add a lot to the game, teaching you how to play while throwing some decent incentives at you. Best of all, Career Mode features the top three NASCAR leagues, which adds a ton of depth.

At this point, I can't decide if I prefer 09 or 15: VE. Neither game is perfect but EA's NASCAR swan song does seem like the more polished product.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:39 PM   #10
LSX
Rookie

LSX's Arena

OVR: 3

Was NASCAR '99 the one where music constantly played during the races? I have fond memories playing that game, running hundreds of laps at Bristol while listening to "Flirtin With Disaster". That was a great game for it's time. Not on par with the Papyrus/Sierra PC games, but definitely a solid console game. Thunder 03 & 04 weren't bad either.

I have a feeling the new Heat Revolution game will easily be the best console game since Dirt To Daytona. The Eutechnyx games the last several years were total garbage.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:17 PM   #11
MVP

Turbojugend's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSX
Was NASCAR '99 the one where music constantly played during the races? I have fond memories playing that game, running hundreds of laps at Bristol while listening to "Flirtin With Disaster".
I'm not sure, the first thing I usually do is mute the music on races. But if "Flirtin' With Disaster" is on there I may have to switch it back on. I will check it out tonight.

I've been playing a lot of NASCAR 2001 (PS1) on my PS3 the past couple of days, it's actually taking time away from my Madden 17 franchise! There's something so simple yet so fun about these games, there's just enough customization to where you can do your track setups without worrying about screwing something up (I'm still a NASCAR novice). Not to mention you have so many legends in the game.

Speaking of, classic drivers and tracks something I wish DMR would introduce eventually, although it's probably not high on their priority list. Imagine a current-gen game with Richard Petty vs. Cale Yarborough on a vintage Daytona track. Wow.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2016, 02:21 AM   #12
Rookie

One of my reasons for starting to save up for a ps2 is because I want to play NT2004 and NASCAR 06 again, I remember those two were my favorite nascar games as a kid and I had every nascar game from NT2002 to NASCAR 09. Might also pick up Dirt to Daytona if I ever have the money, never have played that game despite the praise it gets.

I'm looking forward to Heat Evolution and hope it's good, though I will probably wait to get it until I read some reviews on it. Despite not being perfect games by any means, I have Inside Line and NASCAR 15: VE to satisfy me until I get my hands on it.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:30 PM   #13
MVP

Turbojugend's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LameGamer
One of my reasons for starting to save up for a ps2 is because I want to play NT2004 and NASCAR 06 again
Those are both great NASCAR games, two of my favorites. If you have an Xbox 360, the Xbox versions are backwards-compatible on that console. You can find 04 and 06 for less than five bucks apiece nowadays.

I checked the soundtracks last night, 98 was the one with "Flirtin'". But 99 has Stevie Ray Vaughan and you gotta love that.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:09 PM   #14
Rookie

Anyone know of a playable NASCAR game on the PS3 with a dualshock where you can control the car rather than just bumping into cars like crazy which happens on all the videos I looked up?

The reviews for all of them look bad so it's a bit hard to decide but I'm guessing it's one of Nascar 09, Inside Line, or 15 VE?
Old 06-13-2017, 01:27 PM   #15
All Star

OVR: 20

EA's NASCAR 2005: Chase for the Cup was outstanding. Harvick was on the cover. Decent driving and racing model. The career mode, which started in Whelen modifieds, moved to Truck, XFINITY and then Cup, was OUTSTANDING. Hell, this game even had GRAND-AM prototypes!

I thought last year's NASCAR Heat Evolution had a decent driving model and the best AI I've seen in a NASCAR console game. Too bad it had last-gen graphics, a terrible framerate and a pathetic excuse of a career mode.

Last edited by pk500; 06-13-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2017, 01:56 PM   #16
MVP

Turbojugend's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elever
Anyone know of a playable NASCAR game on the PS3 with a dualshock where you can control the car rather than just bumping into cars like crazy which happens on all the videos I looked up?

The reviews for all of them look bad so it's a bit hard to decide but I'm guessing it's one of Nascar 09, Inside Line, or 15 VE?
15 VE isn't bad in my opinion. If you're looking into a PS3 game it's probably your best bet, but don't forget you can play PS1 games on your PS3 and there are a few decent NASCAR games on that console.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »