View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
JMBOO
Banned

OVR: 7
Re: NHL 09 PS3 Patch Released - Impressions

Ok, this seems to be the right place to post about the patch. After playing a few more games today and sitting in the lobby reading others impressions, here is what I have gathered:

For me personnally, I am really enjoying this new patch. The Parade to the penalty box is definitely in full effect for those who still try to play this game as if it were NHL Hitz and refuse to amend their ways. Most of the people who have been complaining in the OTP lobby seem to be those who hit away from the puck a lot. Some have complained that you can not even breathe on a guy and that it is now hitless hockey. I couldn't disagree more. You can still hit the hell out of the puck carrier, you just can not use the Check stick on players away from the puck. Learn the rules .

I have also noticed more types of penalties being called in game, such as roughing and charging, which is nice. Also, the behind the player stick lift will definitely get you a slashing or High Stick if you are careless with it. Seems to be more tripping calls as well. Maybe just the players I played with though.

The goalies are much better on the side shots but overall weaker on the front shots from what I have seen so far. I played a couple of games where people tried to jam it in continuously from the side of the net to no avail, although nobody I played with tried to dangle the goalie from the side, so, I can not comment on that aspect of it.

Goalies do seem to flop a lot less now as well. I did read of some players who boasted about finding new cheese, but, unconfirmed at this point. Oh, and there was one player who used the right stick shuffle (where you have your stick out in dangle mode and pull a bit down then fire a shot. Not sure what the technical name for it is.) to score a couple from the faceoff circle though.

The one time a player tried the Bubble Boy shot (Spin so facing away from goal and flip your player as if you were playing Bubble boy hockey for a hard shot that usually goes in. I think it is Technically called the 180.) the goalie stopped it with ease.

Have not played center yet to see how the new faceoff style works. My player only has 75 for faceoff rating, so, should be interesting. I will say though, that in the games I played, the actual faceoff totals for both teams usually ended up being fairly even.

The rebounding in front of the net also appears to have been cleaned up, as I have been able to get the puck on a rebound or when the goalie has tried an ill-advised pass out instead of the puck just passing through my stick.

So, that is really all I have to report for now on my impressions. Like I said, there are some who are not liking the patch, due to the fact that they are the ones for whom the patch has been made for. However, overall, there seems to be a general sense of, "Finally!! Time to Play Some Hockey!!" kind of vibe and I think a lot of the players, at least on PS3 and from what I garnered while sitting in the OTP lobby, are happy with the results.

All in all, an excellent job on the patch. I think there might be players who put this game down, especially those who play online OTP, who will pick it back up now that a majority of the issues have been addressed. And for those who have hung in there and played through the dark times, they are definitely finally reaping the reward of playing a realistic style of hockey.

Last edited by JMBOO; 02-17-2009 at 07:27 PM.