Old 09-18-2009, 10:59 AM   #44
BIG CAROLINA
MVP

BIG CAROLINA's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Need for Speed Shift Available, Post Impressions Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnin0
Picked it up last night and played with the controller to get a quick feel for it (wheel stand it setup for iRacing and was too lazy to switch it out with the 360 wheel).

Initial feel was horrible. I don't know what they are thinking but the default setup just feels twitchy and wrong. I don't know how anyone could enjoy it right out of the box and will be game killer for those who don't investigate settings. But maybe that is just me. Lots of people liked Grid and I loathed the feel of those controls.

I put my steering deadzone down to 12% (was at 50%) and turned the sensitivity up to 50% (from 25%). I think they had such a large dead zone and low sensitivity that the only inputs it registered where drastic moves. I feel like I have much more subtle control now although it still feels a bit twitchy at times.

I turned the breaking sensitivity down to 25% and the acceleration sensitivity down to 35%. Both were at 50%. This helped with less lock up and being able to apply power evenly without coming unglued.

The physics are alright. Not in league with Race Pro or Forza. You can sense they wanted cars to power slide a bit more than normal but unfortunately didn't achieve this with the finesse of a PGR. You abruptly lose traction. It comes unnaturally early and then your car finds this uncanny drift grip that holds far to well. Kind of like a less arcade version of Grid leaning a bit more toward the old Race Driver series.

Didn't play online but did look at options. Max 8 racers and you can mix in AI for non-ranked games. No host options to lock handling or damage settings which seems like an oversight. Damage is subtle even on max so it might not matter online. Someone who has played maybe able to answer what the default seems to be. You can lock cars to a specific class or all same and if AI is involved you can set their skill. Didn't check max laps. No pits, gas or tire wear in game at all.

I'll get the wheel setup by the weekend and post some impressions. Hopefully this improves the feel. Overall its fun but probably not going to keep anyone's interest for more than a couple weeks. I cannot see myself coming back to it like I come back to Forza or Race Pro. The driving just does not demand that type of respect.
Thanks for this Inin,

You tend to like the same racing games that I do and your post here settles it for me, not buying. I am not falling for this one like I did Grid, thanks for saving me the money.

PSN: BIG_CAROLINA

"Life is too short for a man to hold bitterness in his heart."
Marshall W. "Major" Taylor

Last edited by BIG CAROLINA; 09-18-2009 at 10:59 AM. Reason: error