View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 12:21 AM   #3
karatemanchan37
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Restructuring rookie contracts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs844224
There is something I have noticed recently about CPU teams. Say a teams picks third overall, like Atlanta. They'll sign a rookie player(Darren McFadden for Atlanta) to a big rookie contract at some point in the preseason, because I see a player signed to 10 million a year with like a 10 or 15 million signing bonus. I later see the same player to a 6 year contract at about 3 million a year for 6 years, with a limited signing bonus, even 0 signing bonus.

So here's what I think happens: a team will cut the rookie player at some point in their first season, even with a large bonus. They'll then sign the player to a 1 year deal with no signing bonus. When re-signing time comes around, said rookie player will get re-signed to a 6 year contract with a limited signing bonus. I've got Drew Carey signed to a fairly expensive 5 year deal with a 8 million bonus. I've already got 20 million in cap penalties for next year, so I have to be careful with cap penalties, but so I might see later if I can restructure his contract to a cheaper deal. I figure if the CPU teams can do it, why can't we? It would probably work with RFAs as well, but you would lose the draft picks.
The problem is that the cap penalities will instantly KILL you...that's why I always sign my players with the lowest bonus as possible.