View Single Post
Old 06-19-2010, 09:08 AM   #27
Dalsanto0026
Banned

OVR: 12
Re: NHL 11 Video: New Physics Walkthrough Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Visualizer
I don't agree with any of what you got there except the bit about George Parros. The right and left quick deke moves from the video looks pretty much exactly like the ones that have been in the game for the past 2 years execpt now they are easier to fire off with the button changes.

In the NHL how often do you see players doing these type of moves...not very often at all. I had the privilege of watching almost every single NHL playoff game this year and maybe seen these type moves once a game and when they occurred it was a highly skilled player attempting them. Regarding the Florida Panthers, usually when I play online I just hit the random select and pick any team as long as they don't have a trash goalie, mainly because in NHL10 like it's predecessors every team and most players feel and ultimately play the same, there isn't enough difference in ratings and abilities. Only real difference besides speed is the goalie lets in softies against the top 10 shooters in the game and some of the bigger hitters don't get shrugged off when attempting body checks.

NHL10 plays a really good game of hockey but suffers from a lack of personality. Accentuating the abilities of superstars would help move the game in the right direction. My problem is the explanations given for adding these new deke moves are "we want to give players especially those new to the game a counter to getting hit or dealing with defenders laying on the ice". Your more organic physics checking system should take care of the hitting "problem" as it should be able to more realistically simulate body contact if it's doing its job correctly, allowing puckhandlers to recover from contact not lined up correctly. If defenders laying down on the ice is such a issue, how about forcing players to stand up after a second or two of laying down, again how often do you see players down blocking shots for more than the amount of time necessary.

I'm all for adding stuff but the message has been mixed from the E3 videos. What is the dev's goal, creating the best, most realistic game of hockey or focusing the the game on making highlight reel worthy plays every game. No need to break the game just to add bullet points to the back of the box...
Great post.
I totally agree.