View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 02:30 AM   #27
Pogo27
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: What does Geaux mean, and how do you pronounce it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekodinator
that's true and not true at the same time (the universe just exploded). while yes, you dont always pronounce the consonant at the end of a word, it does however have an effect on the vowel sound in front of it. this is evident in the words parlai and parlait, which are different conjugations of the verb parler. the vowel sound at the end of parlait is "shorter" or "flatter" than the end syllable in parlai...

parlai pronounced = /paʁ.le/
parlait pronounced = /paʁ.lɛ/

of course you really have to speak french to know this, AND this isn't a language forum so... who cares. if you read this, i'm sorry to have wasted 15 seconds of your life.

... unless of course you're interested in learning french, and in that case... your welcome.
I'm not interested in learning French, but I do find foreign languages in general to be interesting. And when I say foreign languages, I even include the differences between American English and the English spoken in Australia, or England, or Scotland.

It's probably tied to my interest in foreign names. I like to play the FIFA games on occasion (not as hardcore as NCAA) and it's almost a fun game guessing where a player is from based on his last name. And when you start learning the pronunciation of the team and player names and see how their spelled (and then find out where they are from) you start to learn a lot about some of the cool little intricacies of foreign languages.

Speaking of foreign languages, this video is extremely entertaining: