Thread: NBA 2K11 Review
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2010, 10:58 PM   #57
clipperfan811
Pro

OVR: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimfro
I agree with BlackRome, in part, on the issue of controls. I played PG in JH, JV, and Varsity levels in school, and can tell you with all certainty, that when the lane opened up in front of me, like Moses parting the Red Sea, I could fly straight to the basket for an easy lay-up. I can't tell you how many times I have seen the defense blow their coverage of the paint, and I immediately go to move straight at the basket, for what should be an easy two points, only to have my player do some weird u-turn maneuver, or hesitate, instead of finishing the play. Then the defense gets time to fill the paint, and my player gets contacted by the D, and the basket is blown. Sometimes it just feels like you are playing in a foot of water.

If Wade has an open lane, he will use his speed, and finish every time. He was called flash for a reason, after all. The were times in the Jordan challenge that I couldn't beat Danny Ainge, because out of nowhere, Jordan lost the ability to size-up his defender, but felt it necessary, without me pushing the LT button, to try to back him down from the three-point line. That happens constantly. There is no benefit to having a speed guy. Basketball is a game of quickness, yet Derrick Rose, at times, handles like a Hummer when attacking the basket. I never had to do a wide turn to make a quick cut. If this game is a realistic interpretation of the NBA, then I chose the wrong Career path. I should quick everything I am doing now, and get to the nearest NBA practice facility, and see if I can walk on.

That animation that forces the bump, and you to bounce off, and turn your back to the guy, while tryin to face him to use a crossover, or cut, is making me want to shelf this game. They did nearly everything right, but there is no way that Steve Blake could keep D Wade in front of him. The controls are sluggish, not always, but an open lane, with a guy like Lebron holding the ball would always result in a quick, easy basket. In 2k11 it isn't the case. You can hold the stick in one direction, and watch the guy zig-zag on his own. It is a little disappointing to see this again this year.
I don't see this as being way out of wack. I've seen plenty of getting to the rim for a layup or dunk, both by me and by the A.I. .. It's not easy to get to the hoop and if it was all hell would break loose. I see contact that contact animation you're talking about when A) I take a poor angle to the rim B) I don't get around the defender fully and bump into him C) when I beat my defender but help rotates. It's all tough D. Even someone like D wade doesn't always score by getting wide open layups. He sets up the drive with the mid-range jumper, he makes a crazy amount of contested circus shots that he's got down to a science. He dunks over a defender ect ect.

Getting wide open layups SHOULD be a rarity in the game. With all that being said It's not all that hard to break a defender down and get to the hoop. I do it from time to time with my crap rated My Player guy and I've played against Lebron and the Heat enough times to know that Lebron gets to the rim a lot. At first I was even worried about it being too much than I remembered that's how Lebron plays IRL.

Look I"m not saying the game is Perfect (someone please tell me what's perfect) but I've been blown away by the intricacies of the game. 2k clearly put a lot of effort into making this game play like the real deal and I think they should be commended for it, not nitpicked to death about it.