View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 09:48 PM   #23
JayhawkerStL
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: MLB 2K11 Preview (New York Post)

Yep, the three step pitching was so great. But when you fouled it up, you got a message that sad meatball, and you served up an easy to hit pitch.

Gamers new to the controls freaked out every time they gave up a home run and blew a gasket about how hard it was. Instead of just eliminating the meatball, and letting the missed gestures affect location and speed, VC came in and made pitching easy peazy.

The payoff pitch was optional. You never had to accept the challenge. But what I found that forcing yourself to nail whatever pitch was called, in the location it was called for a great challenge (of course it wouldn't be anymore). So if your curveball was rated 79, and you hit the payoff pitch, it would jump to 80. If you missed the spot, but still threw a strike, there was no damage. But if you threw a ball, you would lose all of your progress.

So late in a game, with some of your pitches boosted, it would be kind of nerve racking to have to nail a pitch, knowing you could lose it. It wasn't totally realistic, but it was a great way to force you to learn execution.

I can live without the minigame aspect, but variable ratings throughout a game based on confidence with different pitches tended to really make each game different. But I really miss that three step pitching.