View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #40
stealyerface
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: MLB 12 The Show Gameplay Video - Cubs vs. Cardinals (OS Exclusive) - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Yes - that's part of the reason there isn't as much a need to change the strikezone. The k zone is defined a certain way but in reality there is no true finite visible line like a foul line - just the interpretation of the rule. The umpire variance helps reflect that were some guys see it one way and others a different way.

So the K zone with umpire variance on is, as the case in real life, a baseline for measurement.

My only concern that I will express going forward is consistency. I felt the umps changed their views as the game progressed but not in a way that made sense to the user (or in this case, me).
Oh boy.

Well, I suppose I will express some concern if this is the case as well, as I would rather see it as not a definite, but at least a trend. One of the things that announcers, and pitchers for that matter, always talk about and appreciate is a guy who is consistent with his strike zone for the entire game. You want to give the outer three inches in the first inning, you had better settle in then, and give it to me in the 7th when I have set the hitters up three times through.

I love the idea of the different personalities and zones, and even expanding or squeezing the zone, as that what happens in real life. But if the zone changes all game long, with the same umpire behind the plate, that could become a bit frustrating.

Either way, I am interested to see how it is implemented, especially in a three or four game series.

~syf