View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 12:30 AM   #590
st0rmb11
All Star

st0rmb11's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: The OS Golfer's Thread!

Ended up shooting somewhere between 83-88 (didn't keep score, but that's what I would estimate) when I went Thursday.

Driving was great. Irons were awful (which has been the case the last 4 or 5 times I've gone). Chipping was average. Putting was average.

I really used most of the day to experiment with new things. I NEVER use my sand wedge anywhere but in the sand, but I decided to try chipping with it some around the green; bad idea. EVERYTHING was well short. On a positive note, the only shot I had to hit out of the sand, I almost made. The club works great out of bunkers; not so great out of rough. I think I'll just stick with my usual chipping approach - I use either a 7, 8, or 9 iron and try to run the ball, rather than take a direct shot at the hole with a wedge.

The biggest problem with putting was poor distance control. Everything was either way too hard or way too soft, which resulted in some tough second putts. But, I attribute this to trying to use a putter that I haven't used in a while. It's much heavier than the one I'm accustomed to, so I spent the entire day trying to get a feel for it. On a good note, I sank my last putt of the day - a 10 or 15 footer for par.

The biggest change I made was with my grip (on the last 5 holes).I was rubbing a blister on my left hand (top hand) index finger. I have NEVER interlocked my top hand's pointer finger with my bottom hand's pinky (as you're supposed to do). I've just never felt comfortable doing it. It's always felt awkward. Anyway, I decided to give it a go, to relieve some pressure on that finger, and I seemed to lose a bit of distance, but every shot was dead straight. My ball control seemed to improve quite a bit, with my driver, fairway woods, and irons. My distance control was thrown off a little, as I was losing 5 to 10 yards with every club. Not sure if this was a result of the grip, or, a more likely explanation, a result of me swinging a bit easier, to focus on keeping my club on a good line through my back swing.

Overall, it was a solid experience. I got to jump in with 2 older gentlemen to finish my last 3 holes, which I always enjoy doing. They have some great stories and fun banter.

I'll definitely continue to try to interlock my fingers, but as I said, it's quite uncomfortable for me.

Some of you who may have had some formal instruction (which I haven't), I want to know - is it important to interlock the fingers? do you gain anything from that, over not doing so?

Cincinnati Reds

UNC Tarheels

Twitter: @st0rmb11

PS4

Last edited by st0rmb11; 02-26-2012 at 06:16 PM.