View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #167
kazmilov
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: How's your FIFA 13 career mode going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by olig23
Following up from my original post back page 9... here is an update on the progress so far in my burgeoning career as Sheffield Wednesday manager.

**As an aside I have to say I have been really happy with the way Legendary difficulty plays. I feel I am really challenged and good teams are brutal at punishing me if I am too trigger-happy on the sprint button or constantly press the opposition. I am forced to allow the computer to have the ball and adjust my tactics to the opposition, which is perfect. The only minor criticisms I have of the overall way the game plays are that I feel the new control engine could be better contextualised and that teams are too passive at pressing under the AIs control. I find that the bad first touches can occur as often with simple passes as with random deflections practically hitting a player. Which is a shame. Also, I find defences rarely try and win the ball high up the pitch or in mid-field and gradually the ball ends up being won/lost in either box. Do others notice these or is it just the way I play?**

So after 11 league games Wednesday are sitting in a solid, if unspectacular position of 11th (W4 D4 L3), very much in the mid-table mix though with only a handful of points separating us from both relegation and the play-off places. A prolonged period of form, be it good or bad could be the make or break of my season. Naturally, I feel we are on the verge of stringing a few good results together and making something unexpected happen... but I would.

After defeat at Hull and the loan acquisition of Paul Pogba we were able to go to a Molineaux, against a relatively talented Wolves side and grab a draw. Despite the absence of Jay Bothroyd. Pogba's influence was immediately noticeable too helping my ability to keep the ball finishing with 59% possession, which certainly helped stifle a dangerous Wolves attack.

Next up was Everton in the League Cup. I had little hope of getting a result, with maybe the hope of Everton fielding a weakened team. They did not. However, in true cup style we were able to pull off a stunning upset winning 2-1 with an 86th minute winner from Gary Madine. I had essentially parked the bus for the entire game, initially stealing a lead through a cracking Raheem Sterling goal on the break. After comfortably limiting Everton to long shots and forcing them to break us down they got a deserved equaliser through substitute Leon Osman. Who really made them more dangerous after coming on. An unexpected and great result.

Since then we have only lost the one game. Away to Crystal Palace. Who, in their foul Barcelona inspired kit, totally outplayed me, with David Goodwille are real pain in the proverbial. Impressive wins over Brighton and bottom side Bristol City were high points. Especially some of the football against Brighton - good stuff. Also, we were able to overturn a 0-2 half-time deficit against local rival Huddersfield with 3 second half goals which was highly satisfying. However, throwing away points to struggling Charlton and Ipswich, both of which were winnable means we have not quite broken into the top echelon of teams.

Overall, I am pleased with the season so far. It has been challenging in every game. Except for Oldham and Gillingham in the League Cup. I have tweaked my system to be a bit more attacking with speedy wingers Antonio and Sterling really causing teams problems. However, my new found desire to attack has left us a little open at the back with my centre backs looking a bit exposed at times. I think I maybe need to find a player with good defensive skills and passing to play alongside Pogba. The defence needs someone who will pick up mid-field runners. I imagine that will be very tough. MAybe a job for next summer....

Still, I feel Mid-Table is on the cards. A result against Leicester could put us close to the play-off spots which would be an achievement.

I like your realistic approach and "story".