View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #201
Cavicchi
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: MLB 13 The Show Player Ratings For Every Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
I'm just relaying the fact that the player raters at SCEA would try to dig into more auxiliary info (such as minor league stats) when a particular player has had limited playing time at the MLB level. And I'm just saying *if* (I don't know for sure) SCEA did use minor league stats, Trout having rated lower than Harper in Power does make sense.

That's partly the reason SCEA rates players on weighted 3-year averages, because their strategy is to *try* to rate players based on their intrinsic abilities that could be observed over a longer time span, not just based on limited sample size like one year which can totally be dominated by injuries, luck, and other external factors.

The reason why sophomore jinx *appears* to exist is actually because of this.... people tend to notice and emphasize a great performance by a rookie, but when he performs exceptionally well, beyond well above average, it usually involves a fair amount of luck as well. So his next year, when he isn't as lucky, he regresses to his normal performance level. The resulting stats don't look as good as in the first year. And people call this sophomore jinx, when it's actually a natural result of statistical/performance fluctuation.... the result of Mother Nature... hahhahaha.

Rating players using more stats than just the first year at the MLB level avoids that kind of overrating players performing beyond their true abilities.

Not saying the resulting ratings always come out reasonably though. Rating players isn't as cut and dry as you might be thinking here, although for the purpose of making the game most aspect of rating is very systematized.

Gamers just think their know better because it always feels more accurate when a player is rated to their liking, and complain when he isn't.

It's really not random.... they use formulas.

... and for online leagues, you can use your own roster, though not for Play Now/game rooms....

Comparison to other games like this isn't really meaningful as well... since 2 - 5 points difference in The Show isn't really the same as that in the other games.

Again, I'm just relaying the info that I've gathered from things like this site and the CD event. Not trying to stir up or being defensive or anything.
Well, it isn't fair to "dig up" any minor league stats when both full rookie seasons are there to compare. It really doesn't matter what Trout did in the minors, it matters what he did last year--same as with Harper.

The only reasonable way to rate Harper and Trout is by what they both did in their first full year of major league baseball--which of course is just my opinion.
Advertisements - Register to remove