Old 05-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #24
JerseySuave4
Banned

JerseySuave4's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Fight Night Boxing Franchise on Indefinite Hold, Focus is on EA Sports UFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
Casual boxing fan, oblivious to everyone except Floyd Mayweather?

I don't get the casual boxing fan tag. You are either a fan or someone not interested in the sport.

I know some boxing fans, I don't know any casual boxing fans.
You don't know casual boxing fans? A casual boxing fan is someone who doesn't follow boxing on a regular basis but when there's a big fight they'll watch. That line about being a fan or not isn't true. You can be a casual fan of something. I wouldn't call myself a fan of soccer but I follow it because I need to for work so even though I won't watch MLS matches most of the time, i'll watch Premier League when it's on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dos_Santos
Lol. Was this typed with a serious face?

Boxing was dead after Ali...then the Big 4...then Tyson...then Lewis/Holyfield...then De La Hoya...then Pac...then Mayweather, etc...

Some of you guys need to not post about things you don't understand. It is like the people in the states who make fun of soccer.

Who cares that this franchise is on hold as it was a terrible product. They didn't even have enough sense to not put a random actor on the cover of the last game.

I feel really sorry for my MMA brethren who are getting hyped about UFC EA. The chances of it being a fun, quality product are so slim that there is zero reason to follow it with the smallest chance of being surprised.
And you need to make sure you read things before you comment on them. I specifically said boxing will never die because of hardcore fans and the popularity of the sport internationally. But boxing in the United States is behind the NFL, NBA, MLB, UFC, NHL, Nascar and Soccer in terms of relevance.

Mayweather is the last name remaining that casual fans are interested in paying to see. Boxing has done a TERRIBLE job over the years building up new names. Go ask a someone who says they watch boxing every now & then who Canelo Alvarez is and most wouldn't know. My brother i'd consider a casual boxing fan and when I was over his house to watch the Mayweather fight he asked me who would he fight next and I rattled off 3 different names and he knew none of them other than Amir Khan. Will boxing go on after Mayweather? Of course. But tell me who is drawing in the casual fan?

The Mayweather-Guerrero fight was advertised during March Madness, they had a 24/7 type show on Showtime, they had advertisements in magazines, but it still couldn't do 1 million PPV buys.

Last edited by JerseySuave4; 05-26-2013 at 01:48 PM.