View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #19
mango_prom
Pro

OVR: 2
Re: NBA Live 14 Executive Producer Talks Priorities, Synergy, Commitment & More

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaacc03
The use of Synergy isnt a novelty or just some fancy words, is a proven, reliable feature that was well received by most Live fans (and may I say, many 2k fans too, i.e. me). One can argue how it is implemented (how ratings interact between them and are related to the available data), but non can argue facts. Yes, there is a level of oncourt context that complements data, but what people fail to see is that such context is already in videogames, in the form of user-cpu interaction and the decissions that present during games.
Synergy integration is possibly a step towards a direction 2k somewhat ignored in the past. What I wouldn't like to see though is adjusting offensive abilities on a short term basis. Now if there are young players clearly showing improvements over the course of the season, or veterans regressing in terms of athleticism, it's nice to have changes backed up by objective data. But overreacting to hot streaks isn't the way to go imo.
Just look at J.R. Smith...if someone actually watched the Knicks and looked at advanced stats, it was absolutely clear that his numbers were a result of taking lots of shots and attacking the rim more ( which would've warranted adjustments to individual tendencies if anything). Instead, 2k decided to jack up his offensive ratings turning him into arcade superman.
And not surprisingly, he was shut down in the playoffs. I think you get my point. Should Danny Green have 3pt maxed out for 2 games if he tears it up in real life? Don't think so.

Basically, I hope EA is careful with constantly changing ratings, concentrating more on individual tendencies and maybe even the type and frequency of plays used by teams instead.