View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
prd689
Rookie

prd689's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Running the 4-2-5 Defense

Yes, I have quite a lot of success with it if you're playing a spread option team. It doesn't work so well with traditional power teams like the Big Ten. I mean, you can still do decent, but it always seems like the safeties bite a lot more on play action and the TE will kill you.
So with the 4-2-5 you have 5 playbooks.
• Normal
• Okie Across
• Over
• Under
• Under slide
Basically I never run with Okie Across as the alignments are weird and when the CPU audibles it can caused headaches with the AI alignment on your defense.

The staple of this defense is cover 1 in the Over and Under playbooks. Treat it as though it's the 4-3 under and over and make sure your safety is always playing to the strong side of the field.

Cover 1 will be your base.

I use the normal package in the redzone. Basically anything 20 yards or lower to the endzone and I pull that out and run thet Bullets DBL A all day.

The hardest part of 4-2-5 or any defense this year is that you almost have to manually control your secondary. In the 4-2-5 you'll use the free safety so you can get in on the majority of pass plays.

Your SS's can cover short routes decent and your corners can cover deep but those SS need your help.

When you control your FS, watch for how deep the CPU QB drops back and that will determine how deep you need to cover. 3's run up to support the slant, 5's most likely a deep corner route to the sideline, 7's it's usually a all vertical play so watch your corners.

Strafe is your friend. You wont' be in on a lot of running tackles. But if you wiff on a pass it usually means touchdown.

Use the under slide as your deep cover defense. It adjusts your SS deep and will help you in long yardage downs.

If you feel that a screen pass is coming, Max Zone is a great play to nullify a screen.

Player Types:
DE: Pass rushers
DT: Run Stoppers
OLB: Coverage
MLB: Run or Balanced. You want this guy to help support those DT's because the DE's will rarely help clog the middle of the line.
SS: The bread and butter player in this defense. You need some good hard hitters here. These guys will essentially act as hybrid LB's but with better coverage skills. You want the be able to hit hard.
FS: Coverage all day. This guy is your safety net. You need someone that can move quickly to those 15+ yard passes.
Advertisements - Register to remove