View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
Bobhead
Pro

OVR: 24
Intentional Walks with the Bases Loaded

There's a part of my brain that does nothing at all but create random and ridiculous hypotheticals and "what-if" scenarios. It's probably a sign I need help. Whatever. One of those weird scenarios buzzing through my head is a bases-loaded intentional walk. I've wondered about it for years, and I actually did it for the first time about a month ago, in The Show.

It didn't even really click with me to think about it at all... but then the other day the Mets in real life had a game against the Braves where the bases were loaded, and Wheeler had just exited the game... in my head I'm thinking I'd probably just give an intentional walk to Andrelton Simmons after he fouls off like 7 pitches in a row. Of course they did no such thing, and Simmons proceeds to empty the bases with a hit down the line.

So it made me think back to this question, and at this time I remembered my experience in The Show.

The situation: I'm the Mets, my opponent is the Detroit Tigers. The score is 4-1, there is one out and there are runners on second and third. It's the bottom of the 7th inning, I'm pitching with some random bullpen guy, and Miguel Cabrera is at the plate... Score is 4-1.

I throw a couple pitches just outside the zone, and he doesn't bite, and at this point I start weighing my options. He's the tying run, and giving up a home run is definitely the worst case scenario here. A walk is hardly a big deal, since I'm pretty good at inducing a double play. So I throw a backdoor curveball, and it's called a ball.

Uh oh.

Then I start thinking ahead. Pitching to Prince Fielder isn't really better than pitching to Miguel Cabrera... but how much of a threat is Victor Martinez, really?

So there I go. I didn't even want to risk accidentally throwing a strike, so I pitchout for ball 4. Bases are now loaded, and Prince Fielder comes up, and I throw some breaking balls low to see if he chases. He doesn't, so I just give him the intentional walk and eat the run.

It's 4-2 now, and Vic Martinez comes up to the plate. First pitch, hard grounder straight to the second baseman for an easy double play, inning over.

I can't help but think about all the different ways that inning could have gone wrong if I had challenged either Cabrera or Fielder (or both). As crazy as it is, I think this was a situation where an intentional walk with the bases loaded was actually the right move.

Have you ever walked anyone with the bases loaded?
If not, what's the craziest strategic decision you've ever made?

(And has this ever happened in real life?)
Advertisements - Register to remove