View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
chrishthomas
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Intentional Walks with the Bases Loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven78
Just because it worked doesn't mean it was the best decision. I would have went after Prince personally. By walking Prince you put the winning run on first and the tying run in scoring position. Glad it worked out for you though.
Yeah, but since it was Prince, as Karros would say, "the winning run was in scoring position when he stepped into the batter's box."

Bold move, Bob. I've never done it, but I can thing back to several scenarios where I refused to give in even after a batter managed to foul off every tough pitch in the zone, and magically lay off of every pitch outside the zone even when they were incredibly close. So, on the 10th, 11th, or 12th pitch of the at bat, I miss with location and the guy comes up with a single to score two, a double to clear the bases, or worse yet a grand slam.

Then the next guy strikes out or hits a weak grounder that would have gotten me out of the inning. In retrospect, eating the single run on a walk, and taking my chances with the guy on deck may have worked out better. Too bad I'll never know for sure.
Advertisements - Register to remove