View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
VDusen04
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Operation Sports - Press Row Podcast: Episode 45 - NBA 2K14 Deep Dive with Mike W

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
The "dice roll" on steals is something that has existed in just about every basketball video game I can remember and has bugged the heck out of me for years. As someone who likes to play user defense on the ball handler at all times, it was one of those things that just made defense completely unfair and unfun to play.

Thank goodness a basketball video game will finally penalizes the ball handler for exposing the ball instead of having the defender's hand clip through the ball or charge the defender with a bogus foul call simply because he lost a dice roll.

The first thing you're taught as a ball handler is to keep your head up and use your off hand plus your body to shield the ball from defenders.

It amazes me that protecting the ball has never been a priority in basketball video games over the years, but thank goodness a developer is finally making ball security an important part of gameplay.
Could you point me in the direction of when that was discussed during the podcast? Or could you at least summarize what was mentioned (unless what you already said pretty much sums it up).

I'm with you 100% on the "dice roll" dynamic. Post-patch 2K13 was about as rough as I've come across when it's come to stealing the basketball. Nearly any and all strategy felt absent, replaced almost entirely with the aforementioned "dice roll", which was heavily stacked against the defense. Faced up, unprotected, waist-high dribble? How about a defender reaches through the basketball and gets whistled for a foul. For a game in which turnovers already seemed tough to come by, a steal mechanic that basically trained gamers to never attempt to force an on-ball turnover was pretty frustrating.
Advertisements - Register to remove