View Single Post
Old 10-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
Burhead
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: King of the Hill: A Western Kentucky Story (NCAA 13)

Coach Willie Taggart Resigns, Takes USF Job

(Coach Taggart during his final WKU Press Conference)

December 7th, 2012

Long time Hilltopper, Willie Taggart, today announced his resignation after accepting the University of South Florida's job offer to become the next USF Bulls head football coach. The former Western Kentucky stand-out quarterback had nothing but love and respect for the program he was leaving;

"All good things must come to an end, or so they say. I hate leaving Western but for the sake of my professional coaching career, and my family's best interest, I have decided to take the USF job," said Taggart.

He went on to say that he will always bleed the Red and White and that he will always be a Hilltopper and watch the program fondly and that, "I'll root for Western as long as they are not playing the Bulls." he added jokingly before concluding the press conference.

Western Athletic Director, Todd Stewart, wished nothing but the best for Coach T and his family, saying, "Coach helped build this program from the ground up. He is leaving behind a team with a full cupboard and coming off it's first FBS bowl game appearance. It will be an attractive job for everyone. I hope Willie and his wife have a successful run at USF."

Stewart now will be turning his focus on finding then next head coach for the Hilltoppers. Instead of hiring a search firm, Stewart will be conducting the process entirely by himself. No official names have been announced or interviews set up, but sources within the Athletic Department have revealed a short list including; former Arkansas coach Bobby Petrino, former NFL head coach & Hilltopper Romeo Crennel, former North Carolina head coach Butch Davis, and current Florida State defensive coordinator Mark Stoops.

Last edited by Burhead; 10-07-2013 at 05:30 PM.