View Single Post
Old 05-27-2014, 10:08 PM   #15
VDusen04
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Sports Daily: The Inevitable Champions?

Yes, it has all felt inevitable for me since 2010, which is why I have never been in favor of the rightful and legal decisions made by Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, Chris Bosh (and eventually a slew of excellent role players such as Shane Battier, Mike Miller, and Ray Allen). I felt the Heat were just a bunch of disjointed Dream Teamers in '11, not understanding how to play with any extended sort of togetherness or flow, yet they still came a legendary game 2 comeback away from winning the whole thing anyhow. Once they even kind of discovered they couldn't all average 28 per game, winning has been a foregone conclusion for me ever since.

As someone who is not a Miami Heat fan, it's been kind of tough to see how easy it was for the second greatest player of the past 30 years to team up with two fellow Dream Teamers and come about as close as one can to making a bevy of NBA championships a foregone conclusion. As someone who is a fan of competition and the idea that winning shouldn't just be as easy as the greatest players deciding to join up together in a random city, it's been a bummer.

It always reminds me of those times on the playground where there's three players who are clearly the best on the court (sometimes four or five) and they only agree to play on eachother's team. No captains, picking for squads, shooting 'em up - just always the same top talent together, who then proceed to predictably trounce everyone, yapping it up the whole way. It's good they've all developed their games to be so great, but what's the point? You're winning, but only after one has stacked the odds incredibly in their own favor. What does winning even mean at that point? You took the best players, piled them up, and largely defeated many teams who are likely weaker in part because you've taken their talent.

All that said, I still understand it was their right to make those decisions. I just do not favor it from a single fan's perspective.
Advertisements - Register to remove