Old 07-21-2014, 08:32 PM   #38
ggsimmonds
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Madden NFL 15 - Top 10 Rookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEBB2001
PFF is for analyzing tendencies, not traits. They do not look for the same information that is used to rate player attributes in Madden. All they look at is the end result of each play. They even admit this in their FAQ section.

Since the 1997 draft, there has not been ONE rookie that entered the league as tops in any category that is technical aside from a QBs THP and Ks KPW.

I cannot publish the primary source material as I am bound by a few NDAs, but I can interpolate and publish them indirectly at the FBG Ratings website. You will have to go there to see how the data mimics Madden, albeit, not as realistically as I would like (see the FBG thread and issues regarding the true-mean methodology vs. the equal-interval method for rating players).
I appreciate what you do but I do have a few concerns.

1. You say you have data to back up your claims but when asked for it you cannot release it for legal reasons. I understand that you are required to abide by the NDA but it still comes off odd. Donny Moore says the same thing.

2. Regarding the portion about any rookie being tops in any category I must ask, according to who? Your source? Well that is problematic for me. It is almost circular. Rating technical attributes (no matter what your methodology is) is subjective.

3. You also slightly shifted the goal posts a bit on this. You went from "there should NEVER be a player rated that high as a rookie in ANY of those categories." to "not been ONE rookie that entered the league as tops in any category." Has Madden ever rated a rookie as tops in a technical category?

4. This is more of a personal quirk, but I just dislike use of the word never. Just because it has not happened does not mean it will not.

5. Regarding PFF and its relationship with Madden, it is a tricky thing. I know you have spoken about the difference between traits and production before and I get what you are saying. But I think the primary goal when rating players in a videogame should be to come as close as possible to replicating real life results. So, and others may disagree, I think matching production should take precedence over traits.

6. Most importantly, I am not a fan of Donny Moore. Don't take this as me defending him or anything. Madden's rating philosophy is pretty bad in my view.