Old 09-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #185
BL8001
MVP

BL8001's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: FIFA 15 Demo Available Now on Xbox One, 360, PC, PS3 - Soon For PS4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
What level was that on? I noticed some atrocious defending/keeping when I first booted the game but then saw it was on Semi-Pro. I agree with your overall impressions regarding defending although I'd like to fool around with the new tactics to see if that helps at all. Every year EA gives us this short demo after touting AI improvements so it's hard to really tell at times because the game is so short. I have seen the time-wasting but also the dreaded "passing-the-ball around the box" syndrome that used to plague some of the older games in this series.
It's on Pro with no slider adustments.

I get what EA is doing here but I don't at all agree with the decision. In previous FIFA's the CPU attack has been woeful. So they are giving the CPU some teeth in attack this year. But only by making your defenders complete fools.

One simple tenant of sound football defending is to stay goal side of the ball. Barring all else, you can at least be a meat wall that forces the attacker to go around you. No matter what team I use in the demo, they ignore staying goal side and to exacerbate this wrong doing they even tend to drift farther the wrong direction. If the defender does in fact approach the attacking threat they will wander around them towards the non-threatening side of attack.

Basic defending
1. You stop or slow forward progress
2. If you can't stop forward progress you must then try to shepherd the attacker towards the touch line (because you and the touch line now form 2 defenders.)
3. Only in extremely desperate situations would you want to allow the attacker to cut back to the middle of the field and even then you would be in lock step with them still attempting to force them sideways or backwards instead of forward.

And that is it right there. The CPU attacking logic has not been good at going around a defender. So EA just seems to have decided this year to move your defenders out of the way. Suddenly the CPU is way more potent in attack but at a horrible cost to the user.

I don't play much online but I can't imagine people will be very thrilled if this ole' defending is in the full game.

Last edited by BL8001; 09-10-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove