View Single Post
Old 10-07-2016, 12:06 PM   #61
czechman89
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Scouting Tool for Madden 17 CFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Nathy
Thanks for the feedback! Totally agree, this is one of my bug bears with the tool currently too. My original logic was that people might not put the skills in order so the tool shouldn't assume the grade for skill 1 is always the highest or equal highest for a prospect, but I think on reflection this was the wrong way to do it.

This change is top of my to-do list for v2.
Absolutely, I'm happy to help provide feedback for this tool. Glad that this same issue is on your to-do list.

I will mention that I tried modifying the unprotected version of the spreadsheet to include Skill Requirments for the G-Column "Must have at least one", but it didn't seem to work the way I was hoping/expecting. I added a B for the MLB, but it did not change the MLB in my example to a Do not draft status. I'm wondering if the current logic looks at the Tackling req. of B and the Block Shedding req. of B- (going from memory on that one, might be a different skill) and says if one of them is met, then it won't necessarily rule them out as a Do not draft. And only once both skill req. are not met does the Draft Status switch to Do not draft. Any feedback on that one?

This is odd to me, as I read the skill requirements as an all-or-nothing requirement, as opposed to an at-least-one-of-these requirement. Am I correct here? For instance, I think QBs need an A- in Throw Power, and Bs in TA Short, Mid, and Deep to be considered draftable, correct?

Also, after scouting all the MLBs, there was not a single one who garnered a Draft Status of DRAFT...is this what you've been seeing in general? Maybe it was a particularly weak MLB class. It seemed that there were a number of very nice prospects, who happened to have a B- in tackling. Perhaps that skill requirement is a bit too "harsh". I had similar results with TEs and DTs; not a single one garnered a DRAFT status. For TEs, it was the 3-cone and Shuttle combined time requirement; for DTs, it was their Strength (Bench Rep) requirement that made the majority of them Do not draft simply from those traits alone. Possibly something to tinker with for v2.

As for you toying with the idea of making the draft status less black and white, this is absolutely something that would take this tool to the "next level" in my opinion. Once I had scouted the majority of available players, I had a total of ~26-30 DRAFT-able players (I did run out of Scouting Points, did too much scouting of projected Undrafted players early on...), which I don't think is enough. The majority of them were projected 1st round talents, so many were gone after Round 1. If we had a tiered Draft Status system that wasn't either Draft or Do not draft, our draft boards would have a lot more options.
My suggestion here would be to have the Draft Status to output something similar to the following:

Tier 1 - Draft, and don't think twice (Highest graded players, perhaps those above a 90-something True Value Rating)
Tier 2 - Draft, should be quite good (Next grouping of players, perhaps lower 90s TVR, into high 80s)
Tier 3 - Draft, but lacks in something (Good players, one of their Skills may be at the threshold for Skill Requirement, TVR a bit lower in 80s)
Tier 4 - Draftable, but probably not a star (Solid players, not elite in any categories, one or more of their Skills may be at the threshold for Skill Requirement, probably contains more players than Tier 1, 2, and/or 3 combined)
Tier 5 - Draftable, but low end of spectrum (Risky player with some nice traits but others are just below Skill Requirement thresholds)
Tier 6 - Risky, buyer beware (Risky player with fewer nice traits, probably not draftable)
Tier 7 - Do not draft (Does not meet more than one Skill Requirement or Combine requirement, stay away)

I think some combination of this kind of Tier system with the risk rating based on a percentage of checking criteria passed or failed would help to make this the ultimate scouting tool for Madden CFM. What are your thoughts on a Tier system and how feasible it would be to implement, Old Man Nathy?

I'd be interested in assisting in this process going forward and providing continued feedback on what I'm seeing with the tool. So count me in as at least one tester of v2 or any intermediate modifications you'd want to have help testing out!
Advertisements - Register to remove