View Single Post
Old 12-12-2016, 05:30 AM   #14
thegut
Kitten Mittens!!

thegut's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Steep Review (PS4)

Steep is beautiful, and the concept of open world terrain is ballsy and commendable. However, some design decisions have left me bewildered and frustrated.
First of all, paragliding should have only been for personal exploration only. Trying to race ungainly, slow moving, and unrealistic controlling paragliders around the mountain is an unbelievably bad idea. It is not fun and only pulls users out of the experience and back to their couch wondering who in the hell thought this was a good idea.
Secondly the controls are terrible. For a game aiming for realism, there is a lack of nuisance and tightness in control that is unforgivable. I don't feel like an elite snowboarder when I play this game. Hell, half the time the game doesn't even recognise when I release R2 to make a jump. Most of the runs don't require careful management of speed and line. The more difficult lines use ice to reduce control and the line is determined by the amount of tricks you need to pull. The illusion of being on the slope is undermined by the very controls and events the game forces you to endure.

I'm still having a good time but for the love of God get rid of the paragliding events and tighten the controls. I would rather fall down 1000 times due to my own mistakes rather then play with my fingers crossed the game will recognise my controller input.

Last edited by thegut; 12-12-2016 at 05:34 AM.