View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 11:12 AM   #173
OhMrHanky
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 18 Interview with Rex Dickson (SimFBallCritic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
They don't need to, the mode already justifies its presence financially.

What's the number Rex keeps giving, 65% of people who buy Madden play franchise? If those people aren't happy with an upcoming Madden game's franchise mode additions or lack thereof, they don't buy the game, and Tiburon has zero chance to convert that lost user to a MUT player who buys a pack of MUT cards because that lost user isn't playing Madden in the first place.

There's not really an obvious place in franchise to put micro-transactions that isn't P2W either. Paid bonuses for progression, scouting bonuses / cheats, player retirement influence, player / coach XP, return player from injury, etc. all fall under the envelope of P2W, so they are all right out. You're basically limited to cosmetic items, and there really aren't many places to do that effectively either - new jerseys for relocation teams? That probably won't even make the money back it'd cost to make, though.

'They don't need to'. Lol. They didn't NEED to create a stupid card collecting mode. But, they did, and they found a way to make extra money with it. I'm curious, did the first edition of madden MUT have microtransactions? Like, how long has this mode been in madden? Because, while microTx have existed for awhile, I think they were less prevalent in the Xbox 360 days. So, I'm thinking the first few iterations of MUT were simply, 'let's create a mode for card collecting people that include past/present players.' Then, they found a way to make money off it by selling packs, and it's a runaway freight train. Lol

I don't want to pay for CFM, btw, let's just be clear, here. But, to simply poo poo the ability to add things that aren't P2W, I think sells some more creative people short. I'm sure other people could think of all kinds of things. Random stadium upgrades. Remember that one madden that had 'hologram field goals'? Lol. I dug those, actually. That was a stadium upgrade that is something that doesn't exist in real life, but hey, I add it as a stadium type upgrade for 1.99 or included with the entire suite of stadium upgrades for 9.99 or something.

'The mode already justifies itself, financially.' U can keep making this argument if u want. I don't love CFM, but it's the mode I play the most because I want to win the super bowl. I want to build a dynasty. I buy the game every year for better gameplay, hopefully better CFM, and NFL exclusivity, period. All those things factor in. But, to say the mode justifies itself, financially, when u still have many football fans not buying madden every year specifically because of lackluster CFM, they are losing what would otherwise be simple customer consumption.

If u own the exclusive license to the most popular sport in America, and u can't even sell to all football fans, you're doing something wrong. May want to work on CFM to fix that. The more of those hardcore football fans u attract with a better CFM, the more possibility for more MUT players. I really don't think randoms who don't dig football will buy the game for longshot, and suddenly get into MUT and spend a ton of money. It's just not there. That's a heavy football audience mode, especially to be willing to spend extra money/time on it.

So, anyways, I don't think it's completely far fetched to think that if the devs or whoever could come up with some microTx stuff that was worth it in CFM, that if they proposed to the brass up top as a money maker, they would be given more time to make CFM better.

As it stands, I still say, objectively, that they would do much better to generate more cash flow for EA if they blew out CFM, specifically, drawing in the rest of the football fans they currently do NOT have than trying to pull in random non-football fans.

And, we can argue moral points, if u want. Lol. I know, in the end, it's all about the money, but as vid game company, u also owe it to your fans, your core. They already have a money generating mode in MUT that should be easily upgradeable at this point. They should be able to plug n play different solo challenges, create different card packs pretty easily at this point. So, they could/should put some love into CFM at this point, and try to win back some fans they lost. It would be best for them in the short and long run, imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk