View Single Post
Old 08-09-2017, 10:11 AM   #2
AKEjcl41
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Defensive Coaching Clinic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgarrett92
I have been on this forum for a while now and I have yet to see a thread about defense. So here it is. I want to know what do you guys like to do on defense: formations, personnel sets, how do you recruit for your defense , what makes your defense click, what are the schematic principles of your defense etc. As the old saying goes: offense wins games defense wins championships

This is a pretty cool idea, so I'm gonna contribute. I play a predominantly sim style, so I'm gonna take your questions one at a time. Defensively, I run a 3-4 base. I treat it similar to the offense, I pick 1 of the 3 coach pick plays. I like to do this because it doesn't allow me to sit in defensive money plays and just blitz like crazy...but it offers situational play calls, based on their personnel packages (2 TE's 2 WR) then i'll pick the play with a 4 man line, (3 WR 1 TE) probably pick a 3 man front...if its 2nd & 1 i'll pick a run blitz type play, 3rd and 15, probably more coverage based, or whatever I feel like calling out of those 3. I like to recruit size (height) for CB's and Safeties, a mixture of coverage and pass rush for OLB and run stoppers for DE and DT. I use some house rules for recruiting though, but that's the prototypical player I go for. The house rules are pretty cool, cuz sometimes you end up with your second or 3rd choice at a position and end up with a guy that's 65 instead of your 1st choice that was a 74, and can't just stack the roster. Like I said, I'm a sim guy...so winning every game 63-7 isn't fun for me...and yeah you have to dumb it down some and not allow yourself to stick to money plays and shut everyone out...but for me its more fun in the long run.