View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 04:04 PM   #7
catcher_0_3
Rookie

catcher_0_3's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Defensive Coaching Clinic

I would always run a 4-2-5 in my dynasty's, especially with my friends who would just cheese the read option out of the shotgun.

The main idea behind the 425 is that there is no inherent strength or weakness to attack in the defense since everything is balanced. Now you can create shifts and pressures to change that if you want, but just straight up base, you're going to have a very sound structure.

Most of this is from TCU and Gary Patterson so just look him up if you want more detail.

Schematically, adding that 8th man to the box nullifies the advantage of the read option. As long as everyone does their job and tackles the ball when it comes to them, this defense is very stringent. Between your 4 linemen and 2 linebackers you are going to account for all 6 gaps with a 5 man OL.

Everyone's first objective as it pertains to the run is to force the ball horizontal instead of vertical. Hopefully if the ball keeps going horizontal they will never pick up considerable yardage vertically. As long as it's going horizontal, that will give your chase players the ability to catch up and make the tackle.

The coverage scheme is for simplicities sake, a cover 3. 3 DBs account for the deep 3 zones, underneath Safeties and LBs account for the underneath zones. There's a few holes to target, but if you know where they are (4 verts) you can user and take them away.

Recruiting wise I'm going to go small. You recruit smaller/faster players who can cover the wider college field.

DL is all pass rushers. You can have a run stopping DT if you want but it's not necessary. 4 true pass rushers will allow you to sit back with 7 in zone on passing downs.

LB can be converted safeties but they are going to need to be able to tackle. If they can't stop the interior run game, you're gonna be screwed.

Dogs are the overhang safeties, call then whatever you want. These are kind of your Swiss Army knife guys. They can be converted safeties who can't cover or fast linebackers if you have too many of those. Their first job is to stop the outside runs and then play a shallow zone which doesn't take a lot of skill. You corners need to just be big enough to not let the run outside of them. Other than that, they've got 1/3 of the deep part of the field to cover so they better be pass first guys. That center field safety better be a dude. He's got the toughest job on the field and is a hell of a guy to user. He's got to be able to take the toughest deep 1/3 of the field in zone. He's also got to be able to run the alley and make tackles in the run game, which if he doesn't usually means a big gain.

I could talk for hours about this defense but I'm sure y'all are tired of reading by now. Best of luck.