Old 01-17-2024, 09:39 PM   #50
jd@os
Roster Editor

jd@os's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: NBA 2K24 - 4th Official Rating Update - 1.11.2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real2KInsider
You are far from above making snide comments and taking potshots. You are not some balanced, moral paragon.

The vast majority of the people I have issues with aren't asking questions. They are telling you the answer.

A few of your favorite people aren't trying to have a conversation either. Not that it's stopped your personal bias from taking sides.

The funny thing is I actually work in hospitality and "tone" with guests is one of my strengths. "It's not what you say, but how you say it" is one of my adages. I absolutely don't have the same tone here as I do at work, so what changes?

My written words are stylistically much more direct & matter-of-fact compared to how I come across in other media or IRL. My fingers are much harder than my tongue. I am a sarcastic New Yorker at heart, but actually fairly light-hearted / joking which maybe comes across in my head better than it does on paper.

OS is also not a professional, welcoming atmosphere. These are the streets. My account here was created 20 years ago, so there's quite a bit of history here that perhaps manifests when I click the reply button. My delivery and approach has changed quite a bit over the last 20 years. I was significantly more emotional, combative, and took things way more personally 20 years ago, relative to now. I'm sure some people still equate me with the person whom I used to be, but I can't really control that / worry about it.

I am actually okay with this. I don't need anyone's validation, and my goal has never been to be liked / popular. My audience is mostly going to be the people who cut through the noise and are more interested in the Art and approach, rather than a base feeling.

(And also, contrary to what one might think, I do not enjoy being the center of attention or making things about me - I think in this instance it is important to explain my inner-workings to inform future interactions).
I'm sorry you feel that OS is not a welcoming atmosphere but instead the streets. I know on the football boards, vikesfan and his team welcome roster suggestions even down to if a coach wears a visor or not. I know on the basketball boards, MJWizards welcomes suggestions on what non in-game classic team should replace an All Time team because he changes all of them in addition to already doing the in-game classic (and now Era) teams he edits. I know on the baseball boards, questions and suggestions are welcomed concerning which stadiums to download and which rebrands are recommended from the vault; those guys are a great help.

And man, the golf boards are so welcoming that even though it was not supposed to be done....I'll just say bread was raised so that one of the guys could purchase a PS5. That not only showed me just how welcoming OS really is, but also restored my faith in humanity lol.

But anyway, I am sorry you feel that way. Anyhow, best wishes to you in your hospitality job; customer service isn't always the easiest service.