Home

Walk This Way

This is a discussion on Walk This Way within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-05-2005, 12:59 PM   #9
Bl*bfl*th z*p!

fossen's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Walk This Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianflow
I'm able to draw walks in ESPN but I'm always tempted to swing. Let's face it, it's always more fun to take a hack then to take a ball. Now I know what it feels like to be Shea Hillenbrand.
Exactly - which is why you will never see that correct amount of balls/walks in a console videogame.

I can draw walks in MLB just fine .... but maybe only 2 per game, instead of the 3+ per game that is the league average.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:54 PM   #10
Older

luv_mist's Arena

OVR: 33

In being honest, this really opened my eyes in letting me know how ridiculous the minor little details are compared to what is in real life. I don't quite relate with baseball cause it's just not something I've found the time to sit down and watch. I do play basketball. In viewing basketball, one thing that seriously needs to be noticed is the type of challenge between the teams for those stats. If anyone knows basketball and know the Heat and Bobcats, then you'd get what I'm saying. When the Bobcats beat the Heat, that was basically a slap in the face of stats somewhat. Exploiting a weakspot against an opponent is the thing that should establish the stats.

Stats aren't as useful as many think they are. They do tell a story, but so many times, stats can mislead. Just because it happens one day doesn't mean it won't another. Sports are skill, but are also reading opportunity. If a player is getting struck out at the plate, then I'm going to throw heat everytime he steps up to take a swing until I'm too fatigued against him. If he hits it, then I'll change it up on him and keep him guessing. It was a good article honestly. Makes a brother thing a bit. Keep them coming. Keep them interesting. Fossen, you ain't dat bad looking. You aight....
Old 05-06-2005, 01:05 AM   #11
pujolsfan

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrotar
That's got to be the most insulting and tasteless thing I've ever read.

Fortunately, the rest of us will now be spared your drivel for a while...
Wow what happened in here??? lol

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2005, 01:06 AM   #12
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pujolsfan
Wow what happened in here??? lol
Gee, I wonder who you are...
Old 05-06-2005, 01:22 AM   #13
Im The Baby/Gotta Love Me

elicoleman's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully

What a *******.
What I'm Currently Listening To
Old 05-06-2005, 01:51 AM   #14
Mr. Brightside

Acid's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully

Great read, Fossen!
But we all live in denial
Old 05-06-2005, 07:26 AM   #15
MVP

Badgun's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amidst The Blather
To hear users from the Operation Sports Forums tell it, chicks don't dig the long ball .... they dig walks.

Or at least "sim gamers" do.

Walks are one of those fascinating areas where "sim" and "game" intersect, and developers find it's hard...

View the Entire Article
Very good spin on things, Fossen. I have been waiting for someone to say this for a long time. I noticed with using someone's sliders in MVP that they have the CPU pitchers' control set so bad to get walks, that you rarely ever get anything good to hit. This causes me to swing at more bad pitches than I would normally swing at.

Having to sit and go 7-8 pitches into the count also extends the game quite a bit. All of a sudden a 30 minute game becomes a 50 minute game because you have to sit and look at so many pitches. I agree that walks are part of the game, but a lot of these guys border on obsessing about it.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »