Home

"Strategery" and "misunderestimation"

This is a discussion on "Strategery" and "misunderestimation" within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-15-2005, 01:18 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: "Strategery" and "misunderestimation"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinters From The Pine
Well, at the risk of making some people upset in here (and I'm not trying to, really!), I think I've figured out the nature NCAA Football 06 after five weeks of play.

It's not a "sim".

Now before anyone goes nuts and tries to tell me that I...

View the Entire Article
... And this being the case, this generation, next-gen, and every generation to follow of EA football games will feature the same basic style and feel of gameplay because there are more and will always be more casual gamers than hardcore gamers.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:31 PM   #10
R**k**

bogeyexpress's Arena

OVR: 7

It's been said again and again, but I will say it again. As I am tapping my nose, "you hit it right there, on the tip of the nose!" Being a 35 year old gamer, I was one of those rabid 2K fans you spoke about. Although, I have been an NCAA fan, just not as good at it as some, I don't consider myself a "joystick jockey" anymore. The reflexes have slowed, LOL!! This too, the exclusivity you spoke of, will lead me back to Madden after a 4 year hiatus. 2K is definitely a SIM, but NCAA is still alot of fun, just frustrates the heck out of me alot of the time, LOL!!

AWESOME EDITORIAL!!
Old 07-15-2005, 11:17 PM   #11
Please don't go.

cooldude's Arena

OVR: 15
Location: One of The World's Leaders in Crude Oil: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada

Great stuff.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2005, 03:29 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 1

Wow, I'm glad to finally hear a voice in the media that feels the way that I (and many of my friends) do.
I joined up with a great group of guys about a year ago to form a 2K5 League. We are all over 35 and committed to playing true sim style football in the league. We have developed a great comraderie and play many other games together as well (ESPN MLB, from 2K included). NCAA and Madden are not even being considered, except by a few. There is no real 'league' interaction to the EA product. It's more about the flash and style of the arcade.
We are extremely glad and thankful that 2K has kept their servers up for the next 'season'. It will truly be a sad day when they come down.
It's tough to say I'll boycott EA, they just publish too many games, but 2K has my utmost loyalty.
I would much rather play the Blitz (Midway) style game than EA's abomination. At least they are honest enough to market the game as a parady of the NFL. All the Hit Stick and Passing Cone features of EA are just annoying.
I realize that the NFL is who was pushing the exclusivity aspect and can't really fault EA (and their shareholders), but come on and make a true sim game as well. Work with 2K to make a game for the purist and keep Madden/NCAA for the arcade player.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:53 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbearnm
I would much rather play the Blitz (Midway) style game than EA's abomination. At least they are honest enough to market the game as a parady of the NFL. All the Hit Stick and Passing Cone features of EA are just annoying.
I realize that the NFL is who was pushing the exclusivity aspect and can't really fault EA (and their shareholders), but come on and make a true sim game as well. Work with 2K to make a game for the purist and keep Madden/NCAA for the arcade player.

i enjoy both the ncaa and 2k series very much. I surely didnt expect last years espn 2k5 to be as great as it was. i think its the best developed sports game ive played. i surely was pissed when they lost the rights but hopefully EA will realize there is a market for such games give us what we want.

the fact it was 19 bucks was surreal.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:26 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbearnm
I joined up with a great group of guys about a year ago to form a 2K5 League. We are all over 35 and committed to playing true sim style football in the league.
I have to know you by another name cause I am in an Over35Only football league of Rusty's??

Anyway. The article was perfect. EA is an arcade game. I do play the NCAA football and have a good time with it. It is not a bad product and there are a ton of elements that I like.

But when you get right down to comparing the actual gameplay... 2k5 was nearly perfect.. if you wanted a challenging, realistic sim.

You could play a 15 min quarter game of 2k5 and have scores 17-14... 7-3.. 10-7.... not the most exciting games but realistic.

You play 15 min quarters in NCAA and you would be looking at 200-192!

They make the big plays all too easy.

Whenever I hit a big play in 2k5 I think its a special thing. When I make one in EAs NCAA its expected and comes way too often.

Its horrible that EA scooped up the rights to the NFL because they were 2 different games that appealed to different people.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:49 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgfan James
But when you get right down to comparing the actual gameplay... 2k5 was nearly perfect.. if you wanted a challenging, realistic sim.

You could play a 15 min quarter game of 2k5 and have scores 17-14... 7-3.. 10-7.... not the most exciting games but realistic.

Unless, of course, your opponent ran nothing but flag routes and scrambled with the QB all game long. And last time i checked, I don't think i see DB's in the NFL run around in circles while the ball is in the air.

All that being said, NFL 2K5 was no more or less of a sim than Madden. ESPN and Madden are NOWHERE near perfect.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2005, 10:59 AM   #16
MVP

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangpow
All that being said, NFL 2K5 was no more or less of a sim than Madden. ESPN and Madden are NOWHERE near perfect.
But I think it's aim was to be more of a sim, at least IMO.

That's definitely not EA's aim.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »