Home

NHL 2K6 Review (Xbox)

This is a discussion on NHL 2K6 Review (Xbox) within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-03-2005, 01:06 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NHL 2K6 Review (Xbox)

We have just posted our NHL 2K6 review. Find out what Clay Shaver has to say about it.
"I remember yesteryear. It was a simpler time. iPods were the size of index cards instead of business cards. Jennifer still loved Brad. Everyone still loved Raymond. And the United States was dealing with a war on foreign soil that politically divided the nation. It was a different time. Large groups of Canadian, American, and European men would spend countless hours on a frozen floor, playing a game called hockey in a league called the NHL. Oh, the memories. I still remember those good old days. Good old 2004."
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2005, 11:47 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: NHL 2K6 Review (Xbox)

havent picked up this gem yet ,and its a no-brainer with steves review & price tag. was going to pick up NHL & NBA 2k6 but after seeing the pics of the 360 game i dont know if i should hold out and purchase 360 along with these 2 new gems...i guess throw in the new madden also if i can get my hands on the new box...didnt preorder since i was going for the ps3 but now thats out the window...oh well..great review steve !
Old 10-03-2005, 02:01 PM   #3
Pro

ChiTownKid's Arena

OVR: 10

He fails to mention any of the bugs in the game, some of which are rather serious. If he played "60+ games", I find it hard to believe that he hasn't encountered any of them.

NHL 2K6 is a very good game, but it's not a 5/5.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:24 PM   #4
OS Managing Ed., 2002-07

sdrotar's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoe
havent picked up this gem yet ,and its a no-brainer with steves review & price tag. was going to pick up NHL & NBA 2k6 but after seeing the pics of the 360 game i dont know if i should hold out and purchase 360 along with these 2 new gems...i guess throw in the new madden also if i can get my hands on the new box...didnt preorder since i was going for the ps3 but now thats out the window...oh well..great review steve !
FYI - Clay wrote the review. I can't remember the last time Steve wrote a review, but it's been years. OS is certainly Steve's baby, but he doesn't do everything around here.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:36 PM   #5
OS Managing Ed., 2002-07

sdrotar's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownKid
He fails to mention any of the bugs in the game, some of which are rather serious. If he played "60+ games", I find it hard to believe that he hasn't encountered any of them.

NHL 2K6 is a very good game, but it's not a 5/5.
Well, I know that Clay prefers to review the game itself, not engage in a bug hunt. Besides, if he did that, I don't know what our Forum members would have left to talk about!

In all seriousness, though, OS awards a 5 when the game is - as we state - "A rare and singular achievement in sports gaming. A "must-buy" for any serious gamer."

Clay believes that NHL 2K6 fits that profile, and deserves such a rating.

But as with all video games, your mileage may vary, of course.
That's why we minimize (unlike many other sites) the emphasis on scores. They're simplistic and often misleading - and readers often obsess over a subjective number instead of focusing on the content.

As Managing Editor, I've made it clear over the years that I'd like our emphasis to be on content, not score. Our intent is to help consumers make an informed, intelligent decision based on as much in-depth information as we can provide.

We're wholly independent. We don't want to or need to float up high scores to curry favor with certain developers, and of course, we all have our preferences. We don't mind if people disagree with a review, because that's not why we write them. We write them to ensure that our readers get an unvarnished look at titles they might be interested in - all from the perspective of a hard-core sports gamer like themselves.

I'm confident that we're doing that better than we ever have. Thanks for reading and for posting.

Last edited by sdrotar; 10-03-2005 at 02:38 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2005, 03:54 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrotar
FYI - Clay wrote the review. I can't remember the last time Steve wrote a review, but it's been years. OS is certainly Steve's baby, but he doesn't do everything around here.

OK...misread it...great review Clay ! give credit where credits due..right
Old 10-04-2005, 12:38 PM   #7
Rookie

VeNOM2099's Arena

OVR: 3

I don't mean to be critical, but that review was fairly simplistic. It wasn't "bad" by any stretch, but I just felt there could've been more said. Like the new backwards skating function, laying the stick on the ice, maximum goaltending, team specific play styles. The review could've also spent more time going over the sweet new animations that actually affect the gameplay, like the new passing and wrister animations, how the hockey sticks actually bend when shooting, how players shift their weight when changing direction, etc...

He called "Pro Controls" and the "Enforcer" system MAJOR additions, and I certainly agree that they're important additions. But they're mostly frosting on the cake. The real MAJOR components are the subtle little nuances that make NHL 2K6 the BEST PLAYING Hockey simulation ever released so far, like those I mentioned above.

Mleh... Maybe I'm just to grumpy in my old age...
The days have gone down in the West... behind the Hills... into Shadow.

How did it come to this?
Old 10-04-2005, 01:48 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 4

I've got to agree that the 5/5 is quite off. 2k6 is a great game - but according to your explanaitions of what each number is - I'd say 2k6 is more like 3. Lots of room to improve, fans will likely enjoy it - but there are certainly going to be people who won't be able to overlook some of the major flaws.

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »