Home

Tacking into the wind

This is a discussion on Tacking into the wind within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 04:47 PM   #9
Greatness

utexas's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Tacking into the wind

Not on the level that women and ethnic minorities have, no
https://www.facebook.com/thesportspreacher/
https://www.facebook.com/ipreachspor...PAGES_TIMELINE
Old 10-26-2005, 07:27 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 2

Shawn,

This is a great article. Honest and clearly heart-felt, your connection between the legacy of Parks and the unforeseen path of Swoopes illustrates the connectedness of race, sexuality, sports, and politics. As an African American, I commend you for having the courage not to simplify the discourse of difference and valor. They are, indeed, very much related.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:14 PM   #11
Older

luv_mist's Arena

OVR: 33

I believe that this debate is something that is deeper than comparing skin color, nationality, and background vs. sexual preference. I personally have my thoughts and am pretty sure that everyone else has theirs. Definitely see a similarity as to where you guys were coming from, but I gotta say I do disagree with the comparison. I can't view it as anything separate from Christianity, and I know that religious debate isn't exactly allowed on here. I'll give props on the article, but that's about it.......
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2005, 10:10 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 12

Just his way of including 2 top stories in one column, 2 African-Americans.

Not that this is race related, just a coincidence.

But in todays times, who gets more press or should I say article space?
Old 10-26-2005, 10:28 PM   #13
Pro

quietcool72's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_mist
I believe that this debate is something that is deeper than comparing skin color, nationality, and background vs. sexual preference. I personally have my thoughts and am pretty sure that everyone else has theirs. Definitely see a similarity as to where you guys were coming from, but I gotta say I do disagree with the comparison. I can't view it as anything separate from Christianity, and I know that religious debate isn't exactly allowed on here. I'll give props on the article, but that's about it.......
Well said.

Another thing I think we need to think about is that this woman is "coming out of the closet" in a time when coming out of the closet is far less of a big deal. Twenty years ago, she'd have been taking some serious risks in doing this. Now? I don't think so.

Face it folks, she's more likely to be embraced by our culture now moreso than ever. If another WNBA player married a good man and lived a wholesome life, it wouldn't be front page CNN news- that's for sure. This woman admits she's a lesbian and suddenly she's "heroic" and "brave".

Three words:
Morally Bankrupt Society

We are living in a time when hollywood and the media has painted homosexuality as "the new chic'". Its labeled "fashionable" in almost every television and movie medium. Will and Grace. Queer Eye. Sex In The City. Seinfeld (not that there's anything wrong with that...), Friends, ... you name it.

We are also living in a time when homosexuals go further than just wanting respect and safety (which should be freely given, we all agree there..)- but there are many also looking to convert others... some at a VERY young age. If you don't believe me, check out your local public school library and pick up the children's book "King and King"- targeted at preschoolers. (Its actually one in a series of books aimed at Sesame Street aged kids..)

The rule of thumb for this generation: If it feels good, do it. If it doesn't outwardly and/or overtly hurt someone, go for it. We are like small children who know what our father told us to do, but justify loopholes and logistical caveats as to why we embrace our own quiet rebellion.

"If it doesn't hurt someone else, it must be okay to do... besides, the people on TV do it.."

To me, this was like her going public with an alchohol problem that she doesn't intend to do anything about. I wish her nothing but the best, and I hope she finds the strength to battle the problem instead of justifying it.

But, then again... me and luv_mist are probably in the minority.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:36 PM   #14
Go Wings!

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietcool72
Well said.

Another thing I think we need to think about is that this woman is "coming out of the closet" in a time when coming out of the closet is far less of a big deal. Twenty years ago, she'd have been taking some serious risks in doing this. Now? I don't think so.

Face it folks, she's more likely to be embraced by our culture now moreso than ever. If another WNBA player married a good man and lived a wholesome life, it wouldn't be front page CNN news- that's for sure. This woman admits she's a lesbian and suddenly she's "heroic" and "brave".
I'm sorry, if Allen Iverson, Ray Lewis, Peyton Manning, or someone like that came out of the closet then fans would go nuts. I listened to sports talk radio today and a ton of people were basically saying they'd not like the player because of that.

Also, you know a NFL, NBA, or whatever dressing room wouldn't handle that. I think there's still a big risk, maybe just for a man moreso than a woman in the WNBA (a league not near the others in stature).

So many people would do things similar to this: "Iverson, gay? Damn, that brother's a fruit? I've got an "Answer", I'm taking his jersey off cause I don't want to be gay"

I think to say there aren't serious risks for an athlete to come out while still active is way off base.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:43 PM   #15
Pro

quietcool72's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
I think to say there aren't serious risks for an athlete to come out while still active is way off base.
On the contrary, I think there's very serious risks for anyone willing to make that lifestyle decision.

However, I think- at least from the media and from the WNBA as a league, she'll be embraced. She's an attractive female who is an admitted lesbian. That's alot different in this society than a man coming out of the closet playing a man's contact sport.

She'll be treated fine. The league will make sure of it. Heck, suddenly people are talking about the WNBA again.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-27-2005, 12:49 AM   #16
OS Managing Ed., 2002-07

sdrotar's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilateen
Just his way of including 2 top stories in one column, 2 African-Americans.

Not that this is race related, just a coincidence.

But in todays times, who gets more press or should I say article space?
I'm not sure what you mean, Gilateen.
I do believe that standing up for one's rights as a human being has merit, regardless of the relative level of persecution.
That was my only point.

Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »