Home

Is Racing Gaming On Its Last Lap?

This is a discussion on Is Racing Gaming On Its Last Lap? within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-27-2008, 08:02 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Is Racing Gaming On Its Last Lap?

Next Generation has posted an article entitled, Is Racing Gaming On Its Last Lap?
"Impossibly shiny cars, breathtaking speed, blue skies and roaring engines: racers were once videogaming’s ultimate expression of realism crossed with escapist fantasy. But while other genres have rapidly evolved, from the thunder and bluster of modern FPSes to the vast scope of RPGs, racers seem stuck in the same old routine of race upon tournament.

Even the biggest sellers don’t seem to be performing as well as they used to: once a perennial fixture at the very top of the UK Christmas chart, Need For Speed managed only fifth place as 2007 turned to 2008. Buried in the blizzard of last year’s big releases, Project Gotham Racing 4 has failed to ignite the same fervor as its predecessors. And can Gran Turismo’s luster really sell PS3 the same way it once did PS1 and PS2?"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2008, 09:03 AM   #2
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Next Generation: Is Racing Gaming On Its Last Lap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
Next Generation has posted an article entitled, Is Racing Gaming On Its Last Lap?
"Impossibly shiny cars, breathtaking speed, blue skies and roaring engines: racers were once videogaming’s ultimate expression of realism crossed with escapist fantasy. But while other genres have rapidly evolved, from the thunder and bluster of modern FPSes to the vast scope of RPGs, racers seem stuck in the same old routine of race upon tournament.

Even the biggest sellers don’t seem to be performing as well as they used to: once a perennial fixture at the very top of the UK Christmas chart, Need For Speed managed only fifth place as 2007 turned to 2008. Buried in the blizzard of last year’s big releases, Project Gotham Racing 4 has failed to ignite the same fervor as its predecessors. And can Gran Turismo’s luster really sell PS3 the same way it once did PS1 and PS2?"
did PGR4 really do that bad, compared to the 3rd? I remember getting PGR3 for $15 off ebay well before the 4th came out.

I'm glad they talk about Test Drive Unlimited. It was an amazing game that took a step forward for the genre, yet why haven't they released it for the ps3, or put out info on a 2nd?

Last edited by bkfount; 02-27-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
All Star

OVR: 20

PC racing sims are alive and thriving, even though the amount of quality new releases has reduced in the last two years. The incredibly active, generous, talented mod community is keeping games like NASCAR Racing 2003 Season, Richard Burns Rally, Grand Prix Legends, GTR 2 and rFactor very relevant and very current.

RACE 07 was a disappointment as a new release, but ARCA Sim Racing looks like a promising new release. Plus iRacing is coming, even though its subscription-based MMO model is too expensive, in my opinion.

The racing scene may be stale on consoles due to the emphasis on arcadish, tuning games, but proper sims are alive and well on the PC.

Honestly, I don't understand the panic in this story. It's no secret: Console racing games are following the same path as console team sports games in this generation -- all flash, little function. Only the window dressing is different. People moan about EA sports games being nothing but roster updates with prettier graphics and a meaningless feature thrown in, and many racing games only feature shinier cars and meaningless modes.

Take care,
PK

Last edited by pk500; 02-27-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:30 AM   #4
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55
The last racing game I played for any length of time was Papyrus' Nascar games. Mainly online leagues.
I can't really say why I haven't been into the console racing very much. I went from spending days setting up my car for the weekends online race (Then waiting for the league to decide whether I was at fault for the 10 car pile up in turn 3 at Atlanta) to virtually no racing at all.
I migrated back to consoles at about the same time with less PC gaming. "Real" racing did not follow me to the consoles.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:42 AM   #5
War Eagle, Go Braves!

aukevin's Arena

OVR: 69
Games like Burnout and Need for Speed are entertaining me more than ever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2008, 10:08 AM   #6
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

forza had potential to be a great game, but it felt shallow and rushed. It didn't even have the same amout of cars and tracks as the xbox version. Add in slow DLC and slow movement by the developers to fix glitches, and the community it did grow fell away only months after release.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:56 AM   #7
MVP

kneebon5's Arena

OVR: 15

Racing games are fine on PC, im not sure about them on 360 or PS3, but this year will be a very good year for PC based sim racing.

Alot of big things are going to be going on. With The Sim Factory putting the winner of their series into an ARCA car, and Iracing narrowing their market to those who treat sim racing like it is real racing. The amount of numbers wont be there, mainly because their isnt a NASCAR sticker stamped on the boxes. But the quality of racing will be there and make it more interesting than ever.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:07 PM   #8
It's RBIs or ribbies

JoeRyan33's Arena

OVR: 10

I know some people who play racing games with the controller on their consoles. Totally defeats the point.

GTA5 is gorgeous, photo realistic, and a big reason why I got a PS3. Still, nothing beats the arcade scene, Daytona or Sega Rally with your buddies in a packed arcade.

Thanks to all that helped with the Baltimore Orioles roster, and to N51_rob for making me an OS premium member.

CAPS I'm working on: http://www.flickr.com/photos/25328192@N06/

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »