Home

Is Racing Gaming On Its Last Lap?

This is a discussion on Is Racing Gaming On Its Last Lap? within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-28-2008, 11:04 AM   #17
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Next Generation: Is Racing Gaming On Its Last Lap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneebon5
i dont remember what NASCAR game for ps2 it was but it was a great career mode. You had your team, and had to buy your cars and engines and it took a certain amount of weeks to build things up, and you also had to do R&D to get faster. I played so much of that. Now there isnt even a career mode or anything like that, what happened from that point to now. oh yeah exclusive rights.
actually, I remember the EA game you're talking about, and it was after they already got the exclusive rights I believe. They've even dabbled in making you climb the ranks of nascar.

It's just that we got empty promises for next gen games, when tons of them don't even have as much content as last gen versions a year ago. We don't see more complex AI, better physics, and better presentation on a whole. We just get flashier graphics and more marketing.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:18 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 1

Another peeve of mine is we have all this graphical and processing power on consoles yet most of the games only allow you to race against 7 competetors. I understand the online limitations, but the limited number of AI drivers kills the offline mode. Forza 2 is a great example, I'm so sure all those people in the stands would show up to watch 8 cars race.

PK when are you going to call another poker night?
Old 02-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #19
All Star

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
actually, I remember the EA game you're talking about, and it was after they already got the exclusive rights I believe. They've even dabbled in making you climb the ranks of nascar.
I don't think that game came after EA got exclusive rights. NASCAR 2005 was the first EA NASCAR game with the definitive Modifieds, Trucks, Busch career ladder, but you never had to buy parts and do R&D, from what I remember.

Maybe we're thinking of the last Heat-based NASCAR game, Dirt to Daytona? Can't remember.

Take care,
PK
Old 02-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #20
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick721
PK when are you going to call another poker night?
For rFactor? Sometime soon, hopefully. I'm just really busy with work and family now. This is the most hectic time of the year for me, by far.

Take care,
PK
Old 02-28-2008, 06:46 PM   #21
MVP

kneebon5's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk500
I don't think that game came after EA got exclusive rights. NASCAR 2005 was the first EA NASCAR game with the definitive Modifieds, Trucks, Busch career ladder, but you never had to buy parts and do R&D, from what I remember.

Maybe we're thinking of the last Heat-based NASCAR game, Dirt to Daytona? Can't remember.

Take care,
PK

I think the one i really like and was talking about was NASCAR 03 i played the hell out of it in Iraq. There wasnt trucks or modifieds, it was just Cup, and it was all i needed. If you messed up bad enough you couldnt race anymore, and im sure that made some of the 10 year old kids out there mad.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-29-2008, 02:59 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 6

No, it's as strong as it ever was....you just don't see the old "big name" players in it anymore. Papyrus is gone, and others picked it up.

Open Wheel: Sony gave up the F1 exclusive license this year. Their console games were decent, but nothing to write home about. F1:CC was a fine start to the PS3 ones, but they are no more. EA is putting out an F1 game(rumored, although it's known they signed Lewis Hamilton to be a coverboy, what ELSE would they use him for?). If EA does what they did before, which was license the ISI engine, it could be something great. And they also should have a PC version. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a SimBin developed F1 game with EA as a publisher.

But there are several EXCELLENT F1 mods for rFactor. CTDP 2005, the new 2007 mod from fsone.us, Grand Prix 1979, etc.

Stockcar: Ok, EA dropped the ball. NASCAR Sim Racing was a dud. Their console games on the PS2 were actually decent for console games. Their "friend/foe system, hooking up with people to draft, their career mode, etc. were things that did add to the experience at the expense of "simulation". But overall, pretty decent console games. But they totally ignored the PC sim racer.

Some people think the sun rises and sets on NRS 2003. It was great in its day. But seriously, let it go. Two rFactors mods of NASCAR Simulation Series, and rfStockcars are better. More tracks, better graphics, and better driving physics. If you choose to ignore what's been going on Sprint Cup simulations, because it's not a licensed title from Papyrus, you're missing out on some great racing.

There's also the new ARCA game coming out. I haven't played it obviously, but it does look like it should be something special, and I do look forward to it.

Other series: GTR2 overall may be the best pure driving sim made. Another SimBin release that's recent is Race 07. WTCC, F3000, Radicals, Formula BMW, and other support series are done VERY well. Even if you never heard of the World Touring Car Championship, get this game. It's one of the best racing games that have been released since GTR2. Lots of cars, and lots of tracks, and the same quality they brought to GTR2.

And GT5 is around the corner. They have redone the physics, and added a bunch of cars and tracks, including the Top Gear test track. And considering it will have support for PC racing wheels not the G25, you should be able to hook up your current wheel.

And there you have it. There's a lot going on with racing simulation. Just because there isn't a licensed NASCAR or F1 title on the market that blows people away, doesn't mean it's dying. Some people may also not look at "just a mod" and want a licensed game. That's your loss. There is plenty going on, you just have to open your eyes to see it.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:08 PM   #23
All Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenite
Some people think the sun rises and sets on NRS 2003. It was great in its day. But seriously, let it go. Two rFactors mods of NASCAR Simulation Series, and rfStockcars are better. More tracks, better graphics, and better driving physics. If you choose to ignore what's been going on Sprint Cup simulations, because it's not a licensed title from Papyrus, you're missing out on some great racing.
I have tried NSS, SCE and TPSCC for rFactor, and the only one that approaches NR 2003 is NSS. And it's still not as good in terms of driving and racing models. The driving model lacks the proper grip model of NR 2003, and the racing model is too permissive at some places. Take Daytona, for instance: You can beat and bang all day at that track and not get spun. That's very unrealistic. That said, NSS is still a worthy NASCAR mod for rFactor.

Other great things about NR 2003 that none of the rFactor mods have are the endless amount of real and fictional liveries, the endless amounts of add-on tracks, especially real American short tracks, and at least eight mods based on the superb Papy physics and racing model, such as Busch, Trucks, Whelen Mods, Cup 88, Cup 90, GN 1970, Saturday Night Stock Car, Trans-Am and IROC.

So yes, the sun still rises and sets on NR 2003 when it comes to stock car racing sims for the PC. ARCA Sim Racing is a promising contender for the crown, and it ships this weekend. I hope it's a great game that does well at the cash register.

Quote:
Other series: GTR2 overall may be the best pure driving sim made.
Have you played Grand Prix Legends or Richard Burns Rally? Both are much tougher to drive than GTR 2. You're right about GTR 2, though: It's a superb game.

These are all topics for fun debate!

Quote:
And there you have it. There's a lot going on with racing simulation. Just because there isn't a licensed NASCAR or F1 title on the market that blows people away, doesn't mean it's dying. Some people may also not look at "just a mod" and want a licensed game. That's your loss. There is plenty going on, you just have to open your eyes to see it.
Very well said, man.

Take care,
PK
Old 03-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #24
MVP

BIG CAROLINA's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Is Racing Gaming On Its Last Lap?

Man, I just picked up Dirt to Daytona and all I have to say is how in the H did I miss this game. I have been playing this game non-stop since Friday. This is by far and away the best Nascar game on a console.

Whom ever makes the next Nascar game please, please play D2D and steal their career format. I have never played a racing game this much.

PSN: BIG_CAROLINA

"Life is too short for a man to hold bitterness in his heart."
Marshall W. "Major" Taylor

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »