Home

Major League Baseball 2K8 Beta Screenshots - Franchise

This is a discussion on Major League Baseball 2K8 Beta Screenshots - Franchise within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #9
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19
Re: Major League Baseball 2K8 Beta Screenshots - Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
Looking good. I have mix feeling about the STATS Engine. Some of the stats look realistic & some just didn't. I'm sorry but Johnny Damon is on the downside of his career, yet in 1 of the screens he finished with 32 HR's. Damon has never hit more than 24 HR's in his career.

Here's hoping scenario's like this far & in between
I know what you mean...but at the same time, it will be kind of nice to see the unexpected everyonce in a while and see a guy have a career year. This happens to be a bad example with Damon getting a bit older, but it'd be nice to see a guy like Bobby Crosby have a break out year in the game and hit .295 with 35 HR's.

There definitely is some screwy stuff going on though:

Chipper leads the MLB in assists as a third baseman with only 254 assists. Last year, the leader was Tulowitski with 561. This category should always be dominated by middle infielders, not thirdbasemen and outfielders.

Last edited by Trevytrev11; 03-03-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:01 PM   #10
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezh
..and the league leader in strikeouts only has 156 it looks like
Ya...strikeouts are way off for pitchers. The major league average is usually around 7-7.5/9 IP. The leader is 7.16 as shown there. I knew when I saw Santana with only 156 in 200+ innings something was going to be wrong. The other thing is the assists totals are way to low if Chipper led the majors and it was in the 200's.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:09 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 9

Some looks really sharp. Thanks for adding this. I think that the menus with the players in the background look great, with the "Francise Mode" emblem. I know this is weird, but games in recent years have tried to do away with having really separate 'modes,' with their own menus. Tough to explain, but stylistically, if you played -- say -- Madden's Franchise mode from back in the PS2 and Playstation days, you entered into a separate mode with separate menus, screens, backgrounds, and style. If I could make an analogy to web design it's like having a "mini-site" within your page, which breaks from the style of the rest of the pages but does so intentionally.

I liked those days.

A lot of games now go for uniform styles accross all of their menus and pages, so that Franchise mode is really just another layer of menus (Madden '07 and '08 did this)... but for whatever reason, and call me crazy, I think that it takes away from the game. When I'm playing single player, I'm not jumping between Franchise mode and Exhibition mode, I'm only in Franchse, so I like to be in a more or less "separate" part of the game.

Anyway. Long story short: I like the menus so far. I'm not a big stats freak as long as the stats are relatve to the game, then I'm happy. For instance, I don't really mind ~160k's in a season as long as all of the elite pitchers hover around that mark. Hopefully though some of those will be patched up for the full release. Assists, and so on, I've never looked at those stat categories before
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2008, 12:28 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 4

Wow. The franchise stuff looks really cool. The offensive stats were a bit "high" but they are realistic. The only thing that bothered me for some weird reason was Andruw Jones hitting .301 when he's been a career .263 hitter.

The pitching stats looked good outside of a league high of 160 Ks. The league high is usually in the 200s.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:41 PM   #13
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

Some of the stats look a bit screwy but overall pretty good.

Oh and LET'S GO BLUE JAYS!

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 03-03-2008, 12:49 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPTO
Oh and LET'S GO BLUE JAYS!
You caught that eh...
Old 03-03-2008, 12:49 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsforever
Ya...strikeouts are way off for pitchers. The major league average is usually around 7-7.5/9 IP. The leader is 7.16 as shown there. I knew when I saw Santana with only 156 in 200+ innings something was going to be wrong. The other thing is the assists totals are way to low if Chipper led the majors and it was in the 200's.
Another guy to check out is Erik Bedard. Yeah, I know he's no longer with the O's but his stats simmed horribly. Looked like approx. 180 innings with 220 hits and 130+ Ks. That's a HUGE step back from how he performed in RL last year (almost looks like his ratings are from 2 years ago based on that output).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #16
All Star

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
Looking good. I have mix feeling about the STATS Engine. Some of the stats look realistic & some just didn't. I'm sorry but Johnny Damon is on the downside of his career, yet in 1 of the screens he finished with 32 HR's. Damon has never hit more than 24 HR's in his career.
Maybe Victor Conte and Greg Anderson hooked him up with some really good (and undetectable) HGH.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »