Home

MLB '08: The Show Review

This is a discussion on MLB '08: The Show Review within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-13-2008, 02:57 AM   #17
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65
I'm clapping....

A 9!

Most deserved
Old 03-13-2008, 09:14 AM   #18
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55
Very good review. I'd give it a 8.5 myself just due to someof the mention issues but overall I totally agree with the review. Good job.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:39 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: MLB '08: The Show Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djwlfpack
Nice, detailed review. Will the PSP version get a review?
Chase should have the PSP review (And PS2 I think) up before the end of the week...
Old 03-13-2008, 04:55 PM   #20
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyg
Chase should have the PSP review (And PS2 I think) up before the end of the week...
NEXT week.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:11 PM   #21
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slizeezyc
NEXT week.
Slacker...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2008, 12:23 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 14
I just started playing the PS2 version having never played any prior game in the series. Let me just say this is a great game. On the PS2, the frame rate is top notch. I don't think I've ever seen such a smooth frame rate in a sports game. The stadium sounds are incredible...they even do roll call at Yankee Stadium. The commentary is solid. The interface is user friendly and the controls are very response. One thing I like about the Show 2.0 is how easy it is to check swing with the pressure control of the PS2 Dual Shock. I also like how, similarly to PYS4, there is vibration as the pitcher aims outside the strike zone. This is a nice subtle feature and allows you to turn off the strike zone. I assume they don't have this feature on the PS3 as there is no vibration feature on the PS3.

The animations are second to none. Hitting a ball down the right field line never felt so good. The stadiums look pretty solid, even on the PS2. The pitching meter is simple, but works very well. There are some jaggies and some font cut-off from certain camera angles, but overall the game holds its own graphically on the PS2. This game goes toe to toe with Pro Yakuu Spirits 4 on PS2 (and will go toe to toe with Pro Yakuu Spirits 5 when that comes out next month) in many ways.

This game is a great way to get ready for fantasy baseball season. Can't wait for the operation sports PS2 review.

I also would like to read the PSP review as apparently the frame rate is much improved in the portable game. And apparently the PSP has in-game saves, which the PS2 version doesn't have...
Old 03-14-2008, 06:31 PM   #23
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyg
Slacker...
Yea I never have to beg you to do anything for the site...Nope never.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:50 PM   #24
Banned

Quote:

If playing by yourself bores you, there's a robust online feature set with The Show. Online leagues - oddly enough you need to have a name for two weeks to be the commissioner of one, so leagues are on hold for now, SportsConnect Online User Tracking (Think of it as a match-making feature), user-shared sliders, up-to-date rosters and in-game MLB box scores are all at the top of the list, but unfortunately the lag issues seen in '07 are still somewhat prevalent in '08.

Sometimes you'll be able to get through a game without any problems but other times the game will stutter to a standstill and freeze. The smallest thing like having pitchers warm-up might slow the game down and it makes hitting and pitching nearly impossible. If you're lucky enough to find an opponent with a good connection the game is quite smooth and a blast to play, but it's really hit or miss at this point. Last year SCE Studios San Diego had to issue a patch to fix the online portion of the game and if things don't improve there might be a need for another one this year.
How in the world do you give a game a 9 that has unreliable, inconsistent and problematic online play?

Its reviews like this that encourage gaming producers to continually not put the work into the online portion of the game. Online play for the SHOW is not good. There is no way in hell after last years online debacle that MLB The Show 08 should still be experiencing even the slightest online difficulties.

But hey when reviewers continually overlook these issues its easy for these companies to assume the community doesn't care and its acceptable to have unreliable, inconsistent online play.

This game w/reliable online play is a 9...maybe a 10..But w/o its closer to a 6.5 - 7.0...Laugh if you want but until the voices in the community ring loud and clear in a producers ear about the overall dissatisfaction gamers have with next gen online play there will be no changes for the foreseeable near future.

A frickin 9?!

Last edited by Oldschool17; 03-15-2008 at 07:46 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »