Home

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Hands-On

This is a discussion on Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Hands-On within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-27-2008, 10:01 AM   #9
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Hands-On

Quote:
Originally Posted by labguy
Well according to the recent article posted on the site, car damage is on the way. If they found a way to put that in for next year's release of GT5 I would be one happy gamer!
I somehow doubt it will be in GT5 or the interview would have been more specific. They've even said in the past that even if they had the permission from the car companies in the past, they would have still spent way too much time getting the damage models right. They even say how Forza 2 just does it to have it, while it really isn't done right.

It's just something that I don't see them throwing out quickly.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:27 PM   #10
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by labguy
1080 graphics
60 fps frame rate
cockpit view mode
online racing for first time (big feature)
other online extras (tv programs)
That's just not very many things. Three or four years of development and this is all they could get in? I don't think Halo deserves a pass either.

Look at what Rockstar is doing with Grand Theft Auto IV. Now they really set the bar.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 03-28-2008, 03:44 PM   #11
Th* ******

Spectre's Arena

OVR: 27

Ugh, I can't play GT anymore. It sounds like you can still nudge your way through turns by using the AI's cars as a barrier. Online in this game will be a mess. Don't get me wrong, the game looks gorgeous and that was an impressive upgrade but I need more now.

I think I've been spoiled by the Forza realism- keep in mind I played GT religiously from GT1-3 and didn't even sample the first Forza on the Xbox.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2008, 04:47 PM   #12
Bang-bang! Down-down!

Flawless's Arena

OVR: 28

These comments from the IGN UK review are turning me off. I may just wait for the real GT5 in hope of better things from this series.

Quote:
Unfortunately, the grind that's required to unlock the car, and indeed to progress through the game, is one of the major flaws of Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. It's here that the identity crisis the game is clearly having comes to the fore, straddling something between a demo and a full blooded title, as as a result it seems overly restrictive and artificially protracted. Only cars won in the main thrust of the game can be used in the arcade mode, and subsequently this is true for multiplayer as well, so out of the box there's an unnecessary limitation to cars from the lower end of the pecking order. Soon enough there's the opportunity to get hands-on with a car with something a little more substantial under the bonnet, but key to progressing through the 30 events on offer is grinding through the same race multiple times.
Quote:
And it's here that the over-prescriptive routines of opposition AI can really frustrate. A bugbear of the Gran Turismo series has always been the somewhat redundant AI of opposition drivers, and while admittedly some baby steps have been made in this area it still falls seriously short of what should be expected of a title of this calibre. It's still a viable tactic to pile into a hairpin full throttle and use the side door of an opposing car as a brake, which in this day and age just feels wrong. Also, when grinding an event, as necessitated by the game's archaic structure, you can't help but feel a serious sense of déjà vu overcoming you, as the same Nissan Skyline spins off on the same corner and obstructs the same piece of tarmac. It gifts driver's foresight that would have even Nostradamus choking on his cornflakes, and goes to prove that if it's racing you're after it maybe best to look elsewhere.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:57 PM   #13
Th* ******

Spectre's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
It's still a viable tactic to pile into a hairpin full throttle and use the side door of an opposing car as a brake, which in this day and age just feels wrong.
Wow, it seems like they haven't changed their engine at all. I hoped the game would have progressed. The brain-dead, redundant and non-strategic AI seems to still be there.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »