Home

NHL 09: Community Event Recap: 5W-G

This is a discussion on NHL 09: Community Event Recap: 5W-G within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-09-2008, 01:19 PM   #17
Pro

JimmyDeicide's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: NHL 09: Community Event Recap: 5W-G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
That's strange.
In 10+ games, I've yet to see a CPU one-timer goal from the high slot. And I've barely seen them even attempt this kind of goal.

Actually, last night I saw two sweet CPU goals. Even though I pounded on Nashville 5-2, both their goals were nice. On their first one, while on the PP, Ryan Suter won a puck battle along the wall, swooped in from the goalies left, made a quick deke and then while continuing to skate to the right, he fired back to the left over Lalime's shoulder. It was a great individual effort.
On their 2nd goal, Hamhuis fired a shot from the point, which deflected off my defenders pants, off of Radek Bonk's stick and into the net. Sweet.
I find that hard to believe , 10+ games? come on, maybe not a goal but 50 attempts at it then.

Is there a key to look for in the roster file , a player or a player stat to make sure we're on the same page before i call BS
Im pretty sure im using the updated update from march tho.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:25 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDeicide
I find that hard to believe , 10+ games? come on, maybe not a goal but 50 attempts at it then.

Is there a key to look for in the roster file , a player or a player stat to make sure we're on the same page before i call BS
Yeah, it's the latest roster update.

And I'm telling you, no word of a lie, that the CPU barely ever goes for that same goal. A majority of their goals come from rebounds, deflections or straight shots from good passing. Nothing like it was before. And trust me, I barely touched this game over the last 3 months because of the one-timer happy CPU. I was also sick and tired of watching 5th and 6th dmen like Keith Carney floating in top-shelf goals from the point on a non-screened goalie. All of that has disappeared.

I don't know what to tell you. But all I can say is that I hated it like you are now, but after the latest roster updates and using Catch22's Superstar Sliders the game is completely different for me.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:19 PM   #19
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:

In the videos I posted they score in different ways. Even with visual evidence people will contradict.

Also if you refuse to change the way you play defense the AI will take what you give. If you leave a lane for the AI to walk through and deke out your goalie it will do that, if you leave room for a one timer they will do that, if you leave room up top for a slap shot they will do that, if you give them no options and have them hemmed up on the side board they will throw one on the net. Basically they will take what you give and if you don't want them shooting one timers then play to stop that play specifically, look at the videos where am I most of the time? The slot protecting it when I see the AI is using overload and cycling.

Teams that use the overload strat on offense are gonna do one timers. Look for it and it is stopped, before patch and after. If you refuse to do so don't blame the game for being stubborn and not wanting to adjust and want a easy layup win like in 2k. If it's too hard don't play it.

I don't play Street Fighter anymore cause they jacked up the difficulty soo much that I am no longer capable of playing the game against the AI on anything but the easiest difficulty levels.

I just don't want to put the time and energy nor take the frustration. If that is the case then you should do the same with NHL 08. Not every game is for everyone.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:05 PM   #20
Pro

JimmyDeicide's Arena

OVR: 5

The game isnt too hard for me catcatch nor am i saying they dont get a variety of goals im saying they 1 timer too much.

No need to be so defensive i never even watched or care to watch your visual evidence.

You say the game is stubborn well hell yes isnt that what im saying.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:36 PM   #21
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
The game isnt too hard for me catcatch nor am i saying they dont get a variety of goals im saying they 1 timer too much.
So you rather them not shoot it and just get checked. If it's there they should take it. Their supposed to cycle and cycle till they get to the net open or they can quickly get a one time shot in there. I do the same thing.

The thing is you can easily stop it by just guarding the open guy or pick a different strategy.

There are certain teams that will rip any shot from distance wether it be a slapper or a one timer, not sure if it has to do with ratings or because of the high offensive aggressiveness at which the team employs as their strategy. Teams like Ottawa, for some reason take a whole lot of shots and will cycle and cycle and cycle in the game no matter which line is out there.

How many one timers do you take in a game? Count the amount of onetimers they take compared to the amount you take in the team comparison menu and you will see that its not as much as you would think. I have yet to be out onetimered in any game I have played against the AI whenever I check this stat. Either I am well ahead or its even.

If you take away one opportunity they will try something else. If you leave the onetimer open they will take it. If you leave something else open they will take that too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2008, 05:37 PM   #22
MVP

Flyermania's Arena

OVR: 27

I do agree with catcatch22 in that the AI in NHL 08 takes what you give it. I rarely give up one-timer goals to the CPU as I always try to cut off the passing lanes. If I do give up a one-timer it is more than likely caused by a defensive slip-up on my part. As a result of my defense the CPU tries to either generate rebounds from point shots or to work the offense from behind my net.

It's one of the great things I love about the game...the CPU adapts to what I am doing and really forces me to give my best effort for the full 60 minutes.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:00 AM   #23
Banned

OVR: 9

the computer is pretty good at taking what you give them. if people are standing in the slot wide open for a one timer all game, then guess what? you will get one-timered all game. if you are guarding the lane they won't pass the puck. it's actually pretty smart. just go into a game and purposefully leave people open, and watch how the cpu will find those players almost every time.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:43 AM   #24
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

My only gripe about this is that not every player should find that opening nor should the puck always get to them.
This should all be based on their ratings.
So if a guy has an offensive awareness of 60, most of the time he's not going to find that open space whereas a player like Ovechkin will.
Same with getting the puck to them. If Boogard sees Gaborik wide-open in the slot, he might not always get it to him or it'll be off target forcing Gaborik to take valuable seconds cradling the puck. But if it's Crosby, it'll be a laser pass right on the tape.

I'd also like to see more mishandling of passes. Not everyone in the NHL can one-time or handle a pass from Joe Thornton or Crosby.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »