Home

Don King Presents: Prizefighter On the Spot Demo Video: GameSpot

This is a discussion on Don King Presents: Prizefighter On the Spot Demo Video: GameSpot within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-12-2008, 12:50 PM   #9
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Don King Presents: Prizefighter On the Spot Demo Video: GameSpot

the game should force you to play sim to win...i you can get away with playing like the producer and still win, I probably won't be interested.

I don't want to have to be 'responsible' for making the game seem like a sim.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:46 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
the game should force you to play sim to win...i you can get away with playing like the producer and still win, I probably won't be interested.

I don't want to have to be 'responsible' for making the game seem like a sim.
Exactly, I am tired of having to make house rules to deal with programming or design flaws in these sports games.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:24 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
Exactly, I am tired of having to make house rules to deal with programming or design flaws in these sports games.
I agree. The mere existence of this debate proves that programming and design is not where it should be. I set the bar high for devs, but I expect an in-ring referee, clinches, holding in close with subtle movement with the analog sticks (I want to walk that fine line between holding a little and seeing if the ref breaks us up), variation between referees (some referees let holding go, some come in and separate the fighters). I am tired of devs using the umbrella of a next-gen game to market a product that isn't even as "next-gen" as some games on PS2 and Xbox1 were. Case in point. The chain gang and on-field referees were in NCAA Football 2002 on PS2 spotting the ball and throwing the ball to each other on hurry up offense first downs, but was not in last years next-gen game NCAA Football 08. They are so focused on the big stadiums and the high quality models, they don't have time to actually make the game a game with all the bells and whistles. Some say these are small things not needed, but they prove that devs are cutting corners in places just to make their money and get the game out in-season. We as the consumer need to balance out the playing field so we don't feel robbed when we buy games nowadays. I will probably buy this game, but I expect there to be flaws. It shouldn't be this way, but it is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2008, 05:40 PM   #12
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
There has never been a sports game where I havent had to make up house rules to avoid programming flaws. I had to do it with NFL 2k5, NBA2k8, Madden, NCAA and Fight Night and every sports game I've played. The fact is they are games and will never be perfect. There will always be flaws and game exploits.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:42 PM   #13
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
^^Just give me the option to play rounds however long I want to play them. Just like I said, I don't play football games with 15 minute quarters so I don't want to play a boxing game with 3 minute rounds. In real boxing there can often be 15 or 20 second lulls without a punch thrown, multiple clinches, ref taking his time separatring fighters, etc. In a video game, 3 minute rounds will most likely result in 100+ punches per round and consequently too many KO's.

I am not going to debate with you about playing NCAA football on 15 minute quarters, but if I did that I would roll over the 100 point mark in most games I played with ridiculous stats because I get a realistic amount of plays with 7 minute quarters.

Too each his own, just give me options unlike FN which was 3 minute round only in career mode.

Absolutely agree with this.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:31 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 17

Personally I thought that footage was god awful. Regardless of the fact that the guy playing was clueless it doesn't change the fact that there are obviously significant collision detection issues, slow and awkward animations, terrible CPU AI, and graghics on par with a late generation original Xbox game. And this was pretty much the final build of the game, it hits shelves in a month. And that 2K mod stated there will be no further footage released before the release date. I'm definitely holding out for the reviews and BB response. If it's anything like what i'm seeing over at teh 2K boards i'll be passing on this one.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:22 AM   #15
Banned

OVR: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
Personally I thought that footage was god awful. Regardless of the fact that the guy playing was clueless it doesn't change the fact that there are obviously significant collision detection issues, slow and awkward animations, terrible CPU AI, and graghics on par with a late generation original Xbox game. And this was pretty much the final build of the game, it hits shelves in a month. And that 2K mod stated there will be no further footage released before the release date. I'm definitely holding out for the reviews and BB response. If it's anything like what i'm seeing over at teh 2K boards i'll be passing on this one.
I agree that there are probably collision detection issues, and the animations of Calzaghe and Pavlik did look awkward and slow, but we don't know how the CPU A.I. was because we don't know what difficulty the game was being played at. I do have to disagree with you in terms of graphics. The game does look good. The ring entrances do look nice. And the models of the ringside judges commentators and guests look pretty darn sharp. The match control animations did look a bit sluggish between Calzaghe and Pavlik, but the guy playing was really just button mashing. Hopefully the outboxers of the game move at a faster pace and use footwork better than we saw in that brief video.

I am still optimistic that this game will surprise me in some ways and will provide a challenge. This game was not developed by a 2K Sports studio. It was developed by Venom games in Europe, then tested further and published through 2K. The one thing I do like is that the game does appear to have controls that allow you to take advantage of positioning in the ring. The one thing I did agree with the guy playing the game was when he said that some boxing games sometimes feel like a 2-D linear game. Hopefully there is a lot of variability tied to the analog sticks in terms of sidestepping and lateral movement. It would be cool if you were able to create your own angles through manual footwork. It would be also be nice if there were realistic physics and momentum, too. But i do hope that there are lots of camera angles and / or options, but I'm not holding my breath on that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2008, 01:10 PM   #16
Banned

OVR: 17

The fact that the game was made by Venom is what has me worried, that Rocky Legends game was terrible IMHO. I don't know if the studio intentionally shyed away from copying EA's analog control scheme but I'm not sure how I feel about a boxing game going back to the punches being assigned to the face buttons. I agree that the venues look great, but i just feel the models were mediocre.

I realize the game has a linear story mode (another thing that has me worried after the way Fight Night R3 was), but I would be happy if your fighter was able to fail as well as succeed. What i'm saying is that I don't want the fighter to be helped along by the story mode to complete the game if he sucks. Does that make any sense?

I read that the demo will be available before launch so that will be the true test. I want this game to be good, but that GS vid just left a real bad taste in my mouth.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »