Home

Don King Presents: Prizefighter Review

This is a discussion on Don King Presents: Prizefighter Review within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Don King Presents: Prizefighter Review

We have just posted our review of Don King Presents: Prizefighter.

Platform: Xbox 360
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2008, 01:13 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 24
A little generous in teh score, but over all the review hits home. Gameplay is very lacking.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:19 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34
I pretty much agree with your comments. I gave the game about a 7, but I could see even giving this game a 5. In the end, I'll get 40+ hours of gameplay out of it so its not too bad. You nailed it though, the game is a little stiff, it can turn into button mashing if you don't learn all the controls, and the story mode has little or no replay value. On top of that only 5 created boxers really brings the game down. The atrocious scoring system may be one of my biggest complaints too.

I think it was a good 1st effort. If they fix some things and add a robust career mode, I would buy PF2 if they ever make it.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6
Location: PA, but born & rasied in Hollis, Queens NY. MM username: jkhaalis991
Re: Don King Presents: Prizefighter Review

Now I never been a fan of boxing games on last gen or this gen(I did love Mike Tyson's Punch-Out & Ring King, but that was so long ago)so maybe my opinion shouldn't matter, but I must say the hit detection in this game is by far the worst I have seen in a boxing game. I was watching my cousin play it yesterday & he was loving it I was like "you are staggering him and ur barely touching him." I give this game a 2 out of 10. Stick with Fight Night. Its looks better & moves more smoothly.

I have been apart of "The Tradition" since NCAA started online dynasties. Come check it out.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:19 PM   #5
Have you seen my baseball

BlyGilmore's Arena

OVR: 44
Stick with Fight Night ... at least until Facebreaker comes out ;-)

It certainly hasn't been a very good spring for 2K Sports critically, with both this and MLB 2k8 not exactly earning rave reviews.

What really concerns me is that both of these games seem to have been shipped no with "that's not a big deal" kind of problems and flaws but instead "that should never be allowed to happen" problems and flaws.

Like MLB 2k with the stuttering and frame rate issues and made the game very tough to play early on. And now a boxing game that apparently isn't good at knowing whether either boxer got hit or not.

As the saying goes, once is a fluke. Twice is a pattern.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2008, 03:24 PM   #6
Banned

thelwig14's Arena

OVR: 16

I understand all the complaints except for button mashing fests. I simply don't have these and dominate anyone who tries to get involved in this kind of fight. If you combined the right stick with the left trigger, you can miss and defend a large majority of the shots.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:31 PM   #7
Have you seen my baseball

BlyGilmore's Arena

OVR: 44
i think his complaint was mostly about when playing the computer in career mode ...
Old 06-16-2008, 04:47 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlyGilmore
Stick with Fight Night ... at least until Facebreaker comes out ;-)

It certainly hasn't been a very good spring for 2K Sports critically, with both this and MLB 2k8 not exactly earning rave reviews.

What really concerns me is that both of these games seem to have been shipped no with "that's not a big deal" kind of problems and flaws but instead "that should never be allowed to happen" problems and flaws.

Like MLB 2k with the stuttering and frame rate issues and made the game very tough to play early on. And now a boxing game that apparently isn't good at knowing whether either boxer got hit or not.

As the saying goes, once is a fluke. Twice is a pattern.
Well, they closed down 2k LA for a reason. They just were not very good. I dont know who's making the new MLB2k game. They also handed off NHL to Visual Concepts who is by far the best sports gaming developers out there. Venom is fairly new to 2k, but they just didnt polish the game the way games need to be polished.

NBA2k9 needs to be that damned good, but 2k8 was that damned good, so we will see, but they cannot continue to put out unfinished products.

The guy from OS did praise Top Spin 3. Hopefully they nail this one.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »