Home

MLB Power Pros 2008 Hands-On Previews (IGN, Gamespot)

This is a discussion on MLB Power Pros 2008 Hands-On Previews (IGN, Gamespot) within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-30-2008, 11:22 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: MLB Power Pros 2008 Hands-On Previews (IGN, Gamespot)

Quote:
Originally Posted by agonytheclown
And, no, the "issues" I'm talking about have not been ironed out. Ever.
I don't think you read what I posted. Konami had ironed out all these issues 5 years ago in their previous installments, specifically with Pawapuro 10 in '03 and 11 in '04. Unfortunately, with the people they have in charge of the dev team now this is no longer the case and they have failed to keep the gameplay engine up to par.

In fact, MLB Power Pros is an improvement in comparison to recent mainline Pawapuro games in terms of hitting physics, which was surprising to longtime followers of the series. This is why I'm more willing to accept the chance that we will see some improvement in the next game iteration. With this being the 3rd MLB version of the game (2nd in the states), it's a bit of a critical point - we need to continue to see improvement in the game engine and rosters/stats. If we do, I'll be satisfied Konami's at least on the right track and hopefully the series will reach the plateau it had established several years back.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:41 AM   #10
MVP

duke776's Arena

OVR: 28

I haven't played one game that had realistic amounts of walks...and anyway who cares about walks, I don't. I play the game because it's fun, not so I can get realistic amount of walks. Just my personal opinion.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:03 PM   #11
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

^^ I'm in the same boat, good point.

How is this game (well, last year's version at least) human vs. human?

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet

Last edited by ehh; 06-30-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2008, 12:04 PM   #12
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13

All I know is that this series looks awesome, and I'm going to pick up my first MLB Power Pros game when this year's version drops in a month or so. Only problem is, I'm not sure which version to go for...

Just got a Nintendo Wii, and I was excited that they'd have a cool motion control option for hitting, but it turns out the motion controls are available as part of a separate exhibition mode, and nobody can tell me if they work well or not.

So basically, I'm waiting for a roster update (while the $19.99 version of last year's game taunts me on the shelves), and debating if there's any reason to get this on Wii as opposed to PS2. (The DS version also intrigues me, if they don't screw it up)
Old 06-30-2008, 12:13 PM   #13
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

From what I gathered the roster editing was a huge pain in the rear last year, hopefully it is improved this year although it didn't sound like it from the preview.

I was thinking along the same path as you but I don't want to play with an out-dated version of rosters esp with all the new call ups the Yanks have had in the last year.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:21 PM   #14
MVP

duke776's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
^^ I'm in the same boat, good point.

How is this game (well, last year's version at least) human vs. human?
I've never played it human vs. human, since there isn't online and I don't have 2 ps2 controllers to play it against someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJH1
All I know is that this series looks awesome, and I'm going to pick up my first MLB Power Pros game when this year's version drops in a month or so. Only problem is, I'm not sure which version to go for...

Just got a Nintendo Wii, and I was excited that they'd have a cool motion control option for hitting, but it turns out the motion controls are available as part of a separate exhibition mode, and nobody can tell me if they work well or not.

So basically, I'm waiting for a roster update (while the $19.99 version of last year's game taunts me on the shelves), and debating if there's any reason to get this on Wii as opposed to PS2. (The DS version also intrigues me, if they don't screw it up)
The DS version isn't going to have success mode, MLB life mode, or season mode according to 2ksports.com. Also, it says that the ps2 and wii version are going to have the same features, so I'm not sure why the ps2 version is going to be $20 and the Wii version is going to be $40 but I'm glad I only have to pay $20 for the new game. http://www.gamestop.com/browse/searc...%20Pros%202008
Old 06-30-2008, 12:44 PM   #15
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

Thanks for the info.

From the vids it looks like hitting is done by aligning your bat cursor with the pitch cursor before the ball is thrown. Is that correct? That seems extremely easy to hit if that's the case.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2008, 01:00 PM   #16
MVP

duke776's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Thanks for the info.

From the vids it looks like hitting is done by aligning your bat cursor with the pitch cursor before the ball is thrown. Is that correct? That seems extremely easy to hit if that's the case.
You move it around as the pitch is coming to you, I think you can turn the ball cursor off so you have to actually follow the pitch, I'm not exactly sure because I leave it on so I can see the ball and align the cursor with the ball. But, the hitting isn't as easy as it seems, I thought it would be very easy, but I only average around 9 hits a game(estimation).

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »