Home

NHL 09 Defensive Skill Stick Video (IGN)

This is a discussion on NHL 09 Defensive Skill Stick Video (IGN) within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2008, 05:05 PM   #17
Rookie

tmac55's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: NHL 09 Defensive Skill Stick Video (IGN)

That is awesome.. NHL 08 was definitely game of the year in my mind, and it looks to only be getting better!!!!!!!!

Cannot wait!!!

Old 07-09-2008, 05:38 PM   #18
Pro

OVR: 7

I do like the looks of the pre-game intro before teams take the ice , hope they really put work into the pre and post game action and add to the presentation and atmosphere .Also , let us play as multiple teams in a season.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:15 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 17
Re: Defensive skill stick video on IGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter77
the fast deflections off the goalies (they seem scripted to me) have been around since after nhl '95 on the pc if I recall. It probably hasnt been fixed. I hope it has been fixed though, it would take the game to another level as far as goalmouth scrums go- see NHL hitz pro.

Anyways, looking forward to this game- it is the only game i've played on either system in the past year with any consistancy.

When you say that the deflections are scripted...I was thinking the same exact thing!....I cant tell you how many times I have seen the same shot go wide off and around the boards and go into the crowd always in the same area...it happens literally about 10 times a game in 10min period games. The shot is identical in the way it deflects or carombs off and around the boards up into the same spot behind the net...It almost seems as if there are scripted hot spots or paths that the puck will take in comparison to being totally free physics based in trajectories, angle off the stick ect.

Another thing that I really hope they address is how scoring a goal, the puck seems just hit the back of the net and float or hover down inside the net very unrealisitcally...I know these sound like little things but they take away from the satisfying sensation of ripping a one timer into the top of the shelf and having it careen or bounce around behind the net , flipping around from the momentum of the shot

I really hope they improve the puck physics in 09. And to the fella that said 2K8 has the same puck physics issues...I disagree. While the AI gameplay in 2K8 definitely needs work, I like the feel of the puck physics and how realistically it deflects, carombs and flips around the ice. You get a better sensation of 'lifting' the puck when passing, wristing, and snapping it at the net.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:08 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 3

Pretty cool video, not too sure about the stack the pad save in that situation. It seemed un-needed, and the split save was cool but I hope its not done to often. It was pretty hard to beat goalies down low in 08 since the goalies were always down before a shot was fired. Looks like it could be even harder, which isn't bad. I hope they make the goalies capable of make glove saves this year.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:11 PM   #21
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Finally got a chance to watch the video (damn SonicWall at work for streaming media). Lots of cool looking stuff, but I always try to remind myself to not get too hyped by these types of vids or to over analyze 45 seconds of spliced clips...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2008, 08:40 PM   #22
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

HOT!!!!!!!!!!!
This game is gonna be ridiculous!
And I still play NHL 08 like it came out yesterday....9 months later!
Old 07-14-2008, 08:18 PM   #23
Banned

OVR: 44

ya it looks like they have a winner
Old 10-26-2008, 11:37 AM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 2

please help i cant do spread eagle saves i try both L1 R1 same time and the goalie does a belly flop on ice with the glove to make save its not spread eagle save i try everything cant do it anyone please help thanks

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »