Home

NHL 2K9 Trailer and Screenshots

This is a discussion on NHL 2K9 Trailer and Screenshots within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2008, 12:26 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: NHL 2K9 Trailer and Screenshots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1967
Okay I was wrong. Can't we all just get along? Who said that? Oh well I am seriously thinking about buying both 2k and EA but I can't see how I could possibly play two hockey games. With the upgrades that EA has made I will at east give it a rental.
I can tell you already I'll be buying both.
There's still some things that annoy me with both titles but I have a feeling I'll be keeping 09 for online play and Be A Pro but 2K9 around for a different take on a realistic hockey game.

I read the Q&A at GGHC(?) and one thing disappointed me though. He made a mention that when doing the superstar dekes you kind of lose control of where you're skating.

I really believe that if 2K adopted EA's control scheme it would help a lot. In those videos the puck physics and goalies look great and I like the weight of the skaters much better than EA's.
I also enjoyed the hitting animations.

Lastly, what I really liked about 2K8 is how different the superstars felt from the scrubs. When I had the puck with a goon like Andrew Peters I was forced to dump it off, while if I had the puck with Gaborik, I loved skating with it.
Hopefully it won't be any different from 2K8 and I really hope EA took a page from 2K in this regard.

Cheers!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2008, 12:44 PM   #26
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16

I'm sure I'll get both just like last year, but I'm going to go with 2k9 on release day and I'll read the NHL 09 forums to see how the fans like it compared to 08.

Nothing wrong with having two hockey games.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:55 PM   #27
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

I don't mind buying both, but the controls are so different between the games that switching back and forth is frustrating. I don't want to buy them both at the same time again.

Usually the folks up in Canada get the games a day early, so we usually get some good reviews from them before it hits stores here in the US. (since we're so far away from Canada here in Buffalo )
Old 08-13-2008, 02:27 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene31
I don't mind buying both, but the controls are so different between the games that switching back and forth is frustrating.
Since I read 2K is going back to more traditional button controls this year, I think that won't be too bad. I didn't have too much problems with 2K7 and 07 a couple of years back. Last year was a pain though. I seem to not be thrown off as much when the controls are drastically different (button VS sticks like 2K7-07 and apparently this year too) than when they are just slightly different.

Of course it also helps that I play each game in stretches of a few weeks rather than go back and forth all the time.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:27 PM   #29
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I can tell you already I'll be buying both.
There's still some things that annoy me with both titles but I have a feeling I'll be keeping 09 for online play and Be A Pro but 2K9 around for a different take on a realistic hockey game.

I read the Q&A at GGHC(?) and one thing disappointed me though. He made a mention that when doing the superstar dekes you kind of lose control of where you're skating.

I really believe that if 2K adopted EA's control scheme it would help a lot. In those videos the puck physics and goalies look great and I like the weight of the skaters much better than EA's.
I also enjoyed the hitting animations.

Lastly, what I really liked about 2K8 is how different the superstars felt from the scrubs. When I had the puck with a goon like Andrew Peters I was forced to dump it off, while if I had the puck with Gaborik, I loved skating with it.
Hopefully it won't be any different from 2K8 and I really hope EA took a page from 2K in this regard.

Cheers!
WOW! I had you all wrong. Like I said sometimes I take this stuff too seriously. I always said that 2k's superstars and scrubs had a noticeable difference when you played with them. I'm glad you can back that up. I didn't give NHL 08 too much of chance because of the of no separate line changes, playing in the corners and the lack of franchise depth. Visually it was great and the announcing was outstanding. It sounds like EA addressed quite a few of the things last years game lacked. How difficult was it to go from one games controls to the other? That's my main reason for not wanting to buy both.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:29 PM   #30
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene31
I don't mind buying both, but the controls are so different between the games that switching back and forth is frustrating. I don't want to buy them both at the same time again.

Usually the folks up in Canada get the games a day early, so we usually get some good reviews from them before it hits stores here in the US. (since we're so far away from Canada here in Buffalo )
That's my main issue, the controls. But it is tempting to have two good games that are different.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:40 PM   #31
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1967
WOW! I had you all wrong. Like I said sometimes I take this stuff too seriously. I always said that 2k's superstars and scrubs had a noticeable difference when you played with them. I'm glad you can back that up. I didn't give NHL 08 too much of chance because of the of no separate line changes, playing in the corners and the lack of franchise depth. Visually it was great and the announcing was outstanding. It sounds like EA addressed quite a few of the things last years game lacked. How difficult was it to go from one games controls to the other? That's my main reason for not wanting to buy both.
Ugh! Don't ask! It was brutal. Maybe that's an indication that I'm not that bright or lack the dexterity to pull it off, but I had a hard time with it.

One thing I really liked about 2K's controls is how the shot and pass buttons were mapped to the bumpers. That way I could stick handle and weave using only the analog.
In NHL08, while it's responsive, there was more than one occasion where I'd shoot the puck when all I wanted to do was deke.

Where 2K lost me was having TWO buttons to control levels of speed. I felt that was overdone as the Analog should be able to control everything.

I know I'm in the minority about this on the 2K boards, but after playing NHL07, I'm knee deep in the 'no speed burst button' camp. Usually hockey games never get the burst right. It's either too powerful, lasts too long or everyone gets the same 'x' amount of speed from it.

There were occasions where I had a speedster on a breakaway but he got caught by a flat footed, slow dman.
If a guy like Gaborik is on a BA, there's very few people on this planet that will catch him.
I know this could be solved with sliders but I'd love to see the developers tonne it down.

I don't blame you for staying away from two games due to the controls. It kept me from enjoying 2K8 more than I should have.

Like I said, I LOVED the goal variety in 2K8 because of the puck physics but also because of the goalies.
Some people think they flopped too much and maybe that's the case, but all I know is, when I scored a goal on a goal mouth scramble, due to a floppy netminder, I had a big smile on my face. That's the whole point of games isn't it?

I've been harsh on the 2K camp lately and there are things in the vids that still perplex me, but believe it or not, the latest batch have me really excited for this game.
The PS3 demo drops tomorrow and while I have a 360 I'll be driving over to my bro's place to hog some PS3 time.

Cheers!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2008, 04:47 PM   #32
You got the stuff?

Eddie1967's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Ugh! Don't ask! It was brutal. Maybe that's an indication that I'm not that bright or lack the dexterity to pull it off, but I had a hard time with it.

One thing I really liked about 2K's controls is how the shot and pass buttons were mapped to the bumpers. That way I could stick handle and weave using only the analog.
In NHL08, while it's responsive, there was more than one occasion where I'd shoot the puck when all I wanted to do was deke.

Where 2K lost me was having TWO buttons to control levels of speed. I felt that was overdone as the Analog should be able to control everything.

I know I'm in the minority about this on the 2K boards, but after playing NHL07, I'm knee deep in the 'no speed burst button' camp. Usually hockey games never get the burst right. It's either too powerful, lasts too long or everyone gets the same 'x' amount of speed from it.

There were occasions where I had a speedster on a breakaway but he got caught by a flat footed, slow dman.
If a guy like Gaborik is on a BA, there's very few people on this planet that will catch him.
I know this could be solved with sliders but I'd love to see the developers tonne it down.

I don't blame you for staying away from two games due to the controls. It kept me from enjoying 2K8 more than I should have.

Like I said, I LOVED the goal variety in 2K8 because of the puck physics but also because of the goalies.
Some people think they flopped too much and maybe that's the case, but all I know is, when I scored a goal on a goal mouth scramble, due to a floppy netminder, I had a big smile on my face. That's the whole point of games isn't it?

I've been harsh on the 2K camp lately and there are things in the vids that still perplex me, but believe it or not, the latest batch have me really excited for this game.
The PS3 demo drops tomorrow and while I have a 360 I'll be driving over to my bro's place to hog some PS3 time.

Cheers!
Dang, your lucky to be able to play that demo so soon. I do agree about the speed burst button, it should be done away with and simply left to that players attributes. I kept playing with the sliders last year but I was never able to get it to work right. A lot of times I found myself just out skating the the whole team no matter who I was. Makes for a lot of unrealistic breakaways.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »