Home

2K Sports Announces Free Demo of NHL® 2K9 Now Available for Download on PLAYSTATION®

This is a discussion on 2K Sports Announces Free Demo of NHL® 2K9 Now Available for Download on PLAYSTATION® within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2008, 06:43 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: 2K Sports Announces Free Demo of NHL® 2K9 Now Available for Download on PLAYSTATI

Well remember that in 2k8, by default the game speed was very fast. You had to change it to "realistic" and then the game really shined. So I don't think a demo like this will help anything. Especially since NHL 09 is looking strong (although I'm still probably going for 2k)
Old 08-14-2008, 07:14 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 28
Re: 2K Sports Announces Free Demo of NHL® 2K9 Now Available for Download on PLAYSTATI

We all know 2k is slider happy. lol So i am sure we will get alot of sliders and different ai skill levels.

I do know the game has not gone gold yet. They may be putting a few final touches on it before it goes gold.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:38 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 2
Thumbs up Re: 2K Sports Announces Free Demo of NHL® 2K9 Now Available for Download on PLAYSTATI

Overall Impression - A good, casual game of hockey

I've played 20+ games so far, and I'll break down the GOOD and the BAD.

THE GOOD:

- Fresher/Cleaner look to the franchise with a brighter overall appearance
- The arena looks wonderful - excellent details on the boards, crowd, etc.
- Intros are very nice; the video presentation on the ice never changes but the entrance camera angles change from game to game to make it a little more varied
- Crowd sounds and reactions are much more convincing and exciting
- Puck sounds are much more realistic too (off boards, flipping to the ice, etc.)
- Puck physics are fantastic as the puck bounces on edge, or rips into the top corner and out again, just as quickly (there's something about those rocket-shots to the roof of the net!)
- Collision detection is fine during gameplay, as the puck glances off body parts, sticks, and the rink convincing
- Also, players spin off checks, tumble, lose balance... nice improvement

THE BAD:

- Player models are 'boxy' and jerseys are too tight... however, when the game is in motion, everything looks very good and you won't notice these things as much
- In cut scenes, players bump into each other, the refs, and the net - there are some really quirky animations (or lack thereof!)
- Conversely, in some cut scenes, the collision system simply does not exist as players sail right through each other on their way to the bench and draw
- Goalies rock back and forth before going into their post-goal animation routine
- On a few occasions, the instant replay did not show the goal, but the insignificant action beforehand (???)
- Overall gameplay is more 'messy' than EA's NHL series... It's harder to set up, make quick cuts on your skates, control the flow of the play, etc.
- While the sound of the whistle is better than the previous 'high school gym whistle' used in previous versions, the ref still blows the whistle after a goal !@#!#$

MISC:

- Check out the CPU demo camera (it activates from the Rick Nash startup screen if you don't hit any buttons). If only we could play with that camera!@# (2K - please release a patch to make the cpu demo camera playable!)

INITIAL VERDICT: This game has a refreshing new look and appeal. It's nowhere near the sim that NHL 09 will be, but it's not meant to be that in the first place. If you like or love hockey, NHL 2K9 will impress you at times, and offer a different experience from EA's game. NHL 2K9 is an addictive game in its own right... and possibly NHL2K10 may seriously challenge EA.

Cheers,

Cozmicoz

Last edited by Cozmicoz; 08-14-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2008, 09:52 PM   #12
MVP

Flyermania's Arena

OVR: 27

I downloaded the demo tonight too. While it isn't bad, it doesn't really impress me too much. My early pros and cons:

Pros
* Pre-game intros are very cool
* Menus are vastly improved
* CPU defense isn't as hit happy
* Checking animations are very good

Cons
* Graphics look last-gen again
* Number and name fonts are way off
* Players don't look like their real-life counterpart at all
* Sound effects are awful
* CPU offense still passes out of scoring chances
* No cycling by CPU offense, or setting up of an offense
* Skating still feels more like floating on the ice

The game isn't bad, but at this point I can't see spending $60 on it.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:26 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 15

this just happened inmy last demo game. dont know if this was in 2k8, but the net came off the pegs and went way over to the right of the faceoff circle. I waited, and the ref went over to the net and pushed it back onto the pegs- was kinda funny becasue the animation was glitchy due to the fact of where net was, and it took about a minute for him to get the net back in place.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:18 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 4

I deleted the demo off my PS3 hard drive. When one of the selling points at the end of the demo is for the inclusion of 'playoff beards', that might tell you a company doesn't have that much to offer.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:56 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
I downloaded the demo tonight too. While it isn't bad, it doesn't really impress me too much. My early pros and cons:

Pros
* Pre-game intros are very cool
* Menus are vastly improved
* CPU defense isn't as hit happy
* Checking animations are very good

Cons
* Graphics look last-gen again
* Number and name fonts are way off
* Players don't look like their real-life counterpart at all
* Sound effects are awful
* CPU offense still passes out of scoring chances
* No cycling by CPU offense, or setting up of an offense
* Skating still feels more like floating on the ice

The game isn't bad, but at this point I can't see spending $60 on it.
Pretty much what I figured we'd get with year one of VC doing it. Oh well maybe next year. *sigh*
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-16-2008, 12:28 AM   #16
Pro

JimmyDeicide's Arena

OVR: 5

Im realy, realy digging the demo so far, i think it plays a good game of hockey as is, so imagine when we get the sliders.

At first i was like WTF with the controls but im over that now and settled for pro stick evo basicly if your familiar with EA's game as i am it feels the most natural of them all. And not as easy to score.
Im kinda miffed about the controls as i was very fond of last years layout but just as last year you have to learn new ones same thing but different
They took out full stick control so get that out your systems now, again tho its sorta like EA's controls with a clunky poke check on d but it is very effective and i'd say better than EA's .
The stick handling very similar to EA not as exagerated tho side to side which i kinda like(no mad dekes with mike grier kinda thing) its serviceable for me.

The AI seems realy good so far and the cpu pens have scored some real nice goals against me, the standout being Malkin in the high high slot rolling of a hit and deking my keeper it realy was awsome looking as are most goals , not once have i thought " that was an iffy goal" the cpu burys its chances .

The animations on the hits and just player interactions is outstanding.

Im going on but id say its just like EA's game but with all the 2k gameplay cant wait to delve into the full game.

Not sure about the shooting yet it may be on auto or accuracy is down need more time to realy see if its going where i aim it.

This is looking to be a great single player game for me im realy psyched for it now but i will be getting it for 360 most likely.
It has rough edges but its all good for me so far.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »